Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Katana Help

Article about: I need help identifying my WW2 Katana, have seen this design go for anywhere from \\$100-\\$1500. I know the best way to tell whether a Katana is real is to take the handle off and look at the e

Joe Dawes
    ?

Default WW2 Katana Help

I need help identifying my WW2 Katana, have seen this design go for anywhere from $100-$1500.
    I know the best way to tell whether a Katana is real is to take the handle off and look at the end of the blade for signatures. I have never done this and i don't want to risk damaging anything on my sword. Any help would be great, or if any of you know of places in St Louis, Indianapolis, or Chicago who can help appraise this sword and another antique sword i have, please let me know.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Katana Help   WW2 Katana Help  

WW2 Katana Help   WW2 Katana Help  

Default Re: WW2 Katana Help

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I believe this sword is a chinese fake. The markings on the habaki are a red flag. Also the the fittings look off, like the patina on the tasbua and the sarute. In the case of removing the handle there are some chinese fakes that can be seen on ebay with fake kanji on the tang. I have not seen a fake with the file marks on the tang only on original swords so that is some thing to look for. Hope this helps. Best Regards, Robert

?

I agree with TNcollector!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Agree with Robert and Phil, i have one of these on my wall at home (50 RMB) as a wall hanger, the first dead give-away is the weight of the sword, so heavy compared to an original.
    Best Regards
    Kevin

?

I can only concur , it's chinese , sorry Joe !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Hi Joe,

Yours is, I believe, a reproduction piece imitating the IJA Officer sword Type 98. I'll attach a photo of an authentic piece for comparison.

Regards,
    Stu
    WW2 Katana Help