Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 Samurai Sword Katana Help!!

Article about: Hi, Just picked up this Sword. I am a newbie at swords, this is my 3rd Samurai Sword and first Katana. The blade is unmarked. I found a few near exact swords on Ebay (Does this have military

Default WW2 Samurai Sword Katana Help!!

Hi,

Just picked up this Sword. I am a newbie at swords, this is my 3rd Samurai Sword and first Katana. The blade is unmarked. I found a few near exact swords on Ebay (Does this have military mounts?). Were WW2 swords all made to similar specs? Any info is appreciated. Only real problem is the wrapping on the handle is torn in one spot. Any way to identify the maker? If you need any more pics or anything please let me know.

Thanks,
    Phil

WW2 Samurai Sword Katana Help!!WW2 Samurai Sword Katana Help!!WW2 Samurai Sword Katana Help!!WW2 Samurai Sword Katana Help!!WW2 Samurai Sword Katana Help!!WW2 Samurai Sword Katana Help!!WW2 Samurai Sword Katana Help!!

It is a Type-98 officer's sword; yes, the handle and scabbard are "military mounts." Can't tell if it is a "samurai sword" [pre-1876] unless you take off the handle and post a photo of the tang. Orient the image in a vertical position like this one:

By the way, you say this is your "3rd Samurai Sword and first Katana" .... what other types of swords do you have? "Katana" is the Japanese word for sword; strictly speaking, a gunto [military sword] is a katana. I think we may have to have a look at your other swords to let you know what you actually have -- nomenclature-wise.

--Guy

Looks nice... Showah blade?

Here are some more pics... sorry it took a while. The other blades I have are Wakizashis. I thought Katana was the term for the longer blades.

WW2 Samurai Sword Katana Help!!WW2 Samurai Sword Katana Help!!

Quote by behlftball View Post
    ....The other blades I have are Wakizashis. I thought Katana was the term for the longer blades. ...
    Ahhh! You're right regarding nomenclature -- I thought you might have a ken/tsurugi [straight sword], etc. Yes, wakizashi are the "companion" swords and are shorter than katana are.

Thanks for the photos of the tang; I was hoping they would have the maker's name engraved and I could do a bit of research. However, I'm not a connoisseur of the Japanese sword [other than practical use], so we need to wait to hear from someone with lots of experience; someone like Bob Coleman or Stu W. I do not see any arsenal stamps, though -- which is good; and, I cannot tell the age. To me it looks older than 1925 -- but again, I don't know -- the patina seems darker than what I normally would expect on a WWII-era sword. Your scabbard and handle are in good condition (less the broken wrapping), so I wouldn't expect this patina to be caused by recent storage issues. Again, take everything I say with a grain of salt since I'm not a sword-appraisal expert.

Nice sword -- hopefully the blade turns out to be an older one.

--Guy

This blade is very difficult to appraise from photographs. The file marks on the tang are still fairly crisp and the patina is not deep. If it is a hand forged blade, from the shape of the blade and the tang it is not extremely old. The end of the tang has also been cut off which would likely not be found on a Showa era blade. However, none of my comments can be conclusive and the only true appraisal could be done with an in hands examination by a person of knowledge. Is the first inch above the habaki dull or sharp?
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Old blade , cut down.

many Chinese fakes on e-bay.

?

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    many Chinese fakes on e-bay.
    Sure, but this one isnt.

?

Well done Phil , you have a real nice example and a good looker there , nice tassel also .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast