Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

WW2 Shin Gunto

Article about: Hello... I’m looking for some info on this sword that I picked up last year in an online auctionl. I got this sword, a type 38 Arisaka rifle (all matching), and a type 30 bayonet for \\$600. A

?

I use talcum powder to bring up the signature.... And given the state of the cleaned nakago, I would consider gun blue to darken it. (Yes I know it's heresy, but in this case, what the hell).

If we get a more distinct lettering, I might be able to make it out. As it stands now, the first kanji looks like "Ei/Naga" and the circular shape of the second kanji is often seen is "Kane" engraved signatures.

Maybe:
    永兼
    Nagakane

??

-- Guy

Hi Bruce... I’ve tried baby power, talcum powder, chalk, etc... can’t get anything to make it stand out. These are the best I can get... thank you for trying!

I know nothing about these swords... sorry I can’t be more help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Shin Gunto   WW2 Shin Gunto  

WW2 Shin Gunto   WW2 Shin Gunto  

The photos were upside down, etc giving me a lot of trouble, but the answer is 伊予掾源正次 miyamoto-no-masatsugu
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Shin Gunto  

Wow! Nick that’s amazing that you were able to decipher it... I can actually see some of the comparisons after you put them side by side. Sorry for posting the wrong direction...

Can I ask what it actually means? Anyway of dating how old this blade is? Thanks again for your efforts! Much appreciated. David

Masatsugu was the smith's first name and this name was usually inherited as the artisan's name, meaning there can be many generations of the Masatsugu line of smiths. His name is actually prefaced by his office name of Iyo-no-jo, meaning the third ranking government official of the Iyo Domain (the area around Matsuyama of current day Ehime prefecture). Thus like many other smiths, he was a local government official as well as a sword smith during the Samurai era. Which generation of Masatsugu it is, I'll leave to the sword guys to figure out, but we should be talking mid to late 17th century or the early Edo period.

THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-THANKS-

THANKS,
    -- Guy

?

Amazing!

That’s a very informative and interesting reply! Thank you sir!!

I’m assuming that this sword was carried by a high ranking officer because of the family mon on the handle and the history of the signature on the tang?

Sounds like there’s a long and interesting history behind this blade?

Also wonder how the vet found it? Too bad he didn’t get the saya too! Grin

Quote by 26Intrepid View Post
    I’m assuming that this sword was carried by a high ranking officer because of the family mon on the handle and the history of the signature on the tang?
    Nope, don't assume that at all. Even a lowly lieutenant could have that done if he could afford it.

The major problem with the sword is that someone cleaned the rust from the tang; rust is used to help identify the age of the blade. Could you please show a full-length image of the bare blade? Length measurement is taken in a straight line from the tip to the collar notch on the back of the blade.

Image brazenly stolen from Richard Stein's website.

-- Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Shin Gunto  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast