Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

WW2 Shin Gunto

Article about: Hello... I’m looking for some info on this sword that I picked up last year in an online auctionl. I got this sword, a type 38 Arisaka rifle (all matching), and a type 30 bayonet for \\$600. A

Default WW2 Shin Gunto

Hello... I’m looking for some info on this sword that I picked up last year in an online auctionl. I got this sword, a type 38 Arisaka rifle (all matching), and a type 30 bayonet for $600. As you can see... the sword blade is is poor condition. I was told the vet that brought these items home had recently passed. His widow found these items in their attic and wanted them gone. A local gun shop listed all these items in a “Package deal” auction (I was one of two bidders).

I’m not a sword collector, however, this was an added bonus. I was able to remove the handle and noticed that the tang had badly disintegrated. I guess at some point the tang got wet and slowly rusted over the years. No saya was included in purchase.

My question is... can anybody tell me anything about this sword from the pics I’ve attached? I’m assuming it was an officer sword because of the “Hojo” mon on the handle. The tang appears signed but too damaged to make out.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Shin Gunto   WW2 Shin Gunto  

WW2 Shin Gunto   WW2 Shin Gunto  

WW2 Shin Gunto  

It has a family Mon on the handle.
    If you use some chalk or something similar on the Kanji, and post your photos the correct way, (tip up), someone may be able to at least give you some information on the maker, or era.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Ok thanks... I will try that tomorrow and repost the pics.

You need closeups for any of us to read the name.

?

The mounts are high class and would have not been cheap. Do you have any pic's of the tang before you cleaned it? The habaki aka blade collar looks to be silver, if so then the chances are it was an old and good quality blade. Age is not that big an indicator of value with Japanese blades.... I have seen a 14th century blade in one officers sword, and he used it to chop down barbed wire in a "Banzai" charge!

Hello... yes, the habaki has silver foil wrapped around it. The pic shows the good side... the other side has a long tear (verge of falling off). I don’t have any pics of the tang when I took the handle off. I can tell you that there was just a ton of rust powder inside the handle. I only took a wire brush to get some of he rust off... I know the tang is never to be cleaned... however, I would rather remove the rust and somewhat preserve this piece. I will try and use chalk or a white grease pencil to see if some of those markings are any clearer. Disappointing that it wasn’t cared for and the rust destroyed the tang.

I've touched up the pic a bit, but someone would have to be a miracle worker to make out the name!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Shin Gunto  

As I said, closeups are required. That photo does not have a sharp enough focus for enlargement. Normally, if 3 characters could be read from the middle, the rest can be extrapolated without too much difficulty.

I took some photos today... I tried using a grease pencil and chalk. Neither worked because there’s not enough of the markings left. I did the best I could do with my cell phone.

Some of these photos uploaded sideways instead of vertical... sorry... hope this helps. I think the photos are a bit better if you tap on them. No light was better than light
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Shin Gunto   WW2 Shin Gunto  

WW2 Shin Gunto  

Just a little cropping on sideways pics will, for some reason allow them to post upright.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast