Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

WW2 Toshimasa gunto

Article about: So here is my very first Japanese sword : a gunto made by Toshimasa (敏正), a Seki swordsmith, in 1940 (二千六百年, that is 2600). Of course, it is

?

Default WW2 Toshimasa gunto

So here is my very first Japanese sword : a gunto made by Toshimasa (敏正), a Seki swordsmith, in 1940 (二千六百年, that is 2600).

Of course, it is far from being the most beautiful gunto ever produced, but, to me, it is both pleasant to look at and full of history, which are the reasons why I wanted to have it in the first place.

There are no cherry blossoms on the kabuto gane - is that coherent with a 1940-dated (and -mounted?) blade?

An early Edo Aizu Shoami tsuba? I am no expert, so I would be interested to know your opinion.

It was suggested that Yokota could be the name of the polisher, but I would tend to think that this was the original owner's name.

J. R. Young is logically the name of the US serviceman who "appropriated" this gunto and brought it back home with him.
    Last edited by Didier; 12-02-2018 at 06:51 PM.

Not bad for a first sword. You did your homework.

?

Quote by Sporter90 View Post
    Not bad for a first sword. You did your homework.
    My aim was to find a first (and affordable) sword to study. When I know more, maybe I will move on to something more "high-end".

?

Deleted.
    Last edited by Didier; 12-03-2018 at 06:37 PM.

?

Great sword , only the tsuba is strange for a 1940 type 98 sword, tassel is for company grade officer

Nice gunto, Didier, with cool history and personality. The kabuto gane is puzzling. I can't remember seeing one without the blossoms and leaves, but it's clearly legit and well made.

?

Indeed, the tsuba is unusual on a gunto like this one, but as the tsuka and tsuba are tightly fitted, I assume they are part of the original koshirae. The tassel is a personal addition to the sword, as no military sword would be complete without its tassel.

?

As regards the kabuto gane, this is yet another unusual feature on this gunto, the other one, apart from the tsuba, being the name Yokota on the nakago mune.
    The leather cover must have been "strengthened" with a new stitching and has lost its buttoned leather flap (or whatever it is called) - surely the reason why it needed a new stitching.
    Last edited by Didier; 12-03-2018 at 06:26 PM.

?

The Seki stamp is clearly visible, but I had no illusion about this sword being something else than a non traditionally made one.

Could anybody tell me what these whitish fog-like areas on the blade are?
    Last edited by Didier; 12-03-2018 at 06:26 PM.

?

As with everything, cost was always a factor, and some kabutogane have no detailing at all. Officers paid for their own swords, just as in the French army, so you get the same level of variation. Antique iron tsuba turn up all the time, almost as often as they do with the official brass one. I have even seen them pierced to take the retention clip with the steel scabbard formal mounts. I have posted asking about why they turn up so often, and it seems to have been just a matter of personal choice, and for varied reasons. The only issue I see with yours is the kissaki, which looks to have been badly reshaped.... No suggestions for the fogged areas other than someone scrubbing out rust patches.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast