Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII Japanese sword?

Article about: I may have the opportunity to purchase a sword. The seller claims there uncle was in WWII and they found it when cleaning out his house. It appears Japanese, but i honestly have no idea what

Default WWII Japanese sword?

I may have the opportunity to purchase a sword. The seller claims there uncle was in WWII and they found it when cleaning out his house. It appears Japanese, but i honestly have no idea what i am looking at. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images WWII Japanese sword?  WWII Japanese sword?  WWII Japanese sword?  WWII Japanese sword? 

?

Default Re: WWII Sword? Japanes?

It's difficult to judge from these blurry pictures. Could you possibly post some clear, close up images? That would help you get a better opinion on this piece.
    ~Dean

The blade does have an interesting curve that I don't usually see on the repro's but yeah...need some close-ups of the tsuba and handle, blade too...

Dean,

I will see if i can get some more. Hopefully I can.

Seller offered this info, i am awaiting pics,

"Scabbard looks to be wood. It is not metal. The length of the blade is approxi 20.5 inches".

some more pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Japanese sword?   WWII Japanese sword?  

WWII Japanese sword?   WWII Japanese sword?  

?

Default Re: WWII Japanese sword?

From what i can see , that is a very nice find ! A nice old Wakizashi with traditional civilian mounts . I look forward to more pics .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Hello, I hope i'm not stepping on a land mine but I think it's not original. The blade looks like it's plated and the temper line appears to be something like an acid etch. Looking at the blade pic. if you see where the flash causes an aurora effect, it's the same on the side and the temper; I feel that the temper should reflect differently. What REALLY makes me think it's fake is the corrosion around the tsuba and habaki; it's kinda whitesh/lite green almost like a moldy color to it. I've only seen that on some reproductions. It's something to do with the metal they use. Looking at the handle, the mekugi (wooden peg) and shark skin is too bright for its supposed age. Even though the menuki looks fine, it's a bit blurry in the pic. Ultimately if you were able to is to see the tang, but I don't think the person will remove it for you. I wouldn't buy it without seeing the tang. Even if you, or anyone else believes i'm off in my belief of it being a repro....I don't think anyone would argue about wanting to see the tang as definitive proof. I hope i'm wrong...but I don't think so. Sorry, I wish it was a original.

The sword is a genuine katana of the commercial type sold in Japan before the war. These were used by practicioners of the martial arts. The blade is oil tempered machine made. The fittings are of a low quality which are normal for these type of swords. Condition appears to be rough.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

On another note, there is nothing to be gained by removing the handle as this is a machine made Showa era blade. You would risk only damaging the already unstable handle wrap.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast