Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII Japanese Sword---real deal??

Article about: OK. Thanks Bob for all your help! I have another sword coming next week. I will post pics when I get it. Question: I have 2 Jap flags that have wording in Japanese all over them. If I were t

Default WWII Japanese Sword---real deal??

I just bought this Japanese sword and I'm wanting some opinions please! I have the opportunity to return it if I don't like it. It sure looks good to me...has wear from use and age. But, I also know there are ALOT of fakes out there! The tang is signed on both sides. The actual blade measures 26". The entire sword measures 37 3/4" approx. Thanks in advance and look forward to comments!

Bill
    WWII Japanese Sword---real deal??WWII Japanese Sword---real deal??WWII Japanese Sword---real deal??WWII Japanese Sword---real deal??WWII Japanese Sword---real deal??WWII Japanese Sword---real deal??WWII Japanese Sword---real deal??WWII Japanese Sword---real deal??WWII Japanese Sword---real deal??WWII Japanese Sword---real deal??WWII Japanese Sword---real deal??WWII Japanese Sword---real deal??WWII Japanese Sword---real deal??WWII Japanese Sword---real deal??

Default Re: WWII Japanese Sword---real deal??

No worries with this one. It is a standard 1944 pattern Imperial Japanese Army officer's sword with machine made blade. I do not believe the Chinese have made copies of this form of mounting YET!
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Woo hoo!! Thanks so much. I'm always worried when I get almost any WWII stuff these days! SOOOO many repro crap out there. I had a good feeling about this one though. It just had that 'look' and wear that one would expect to see on something of the WWII era. Is there any other info I can get---what the characters say or mean mainly is what I'm interested in knowing. I paid $600 for this. I hope that was a decent price. It is in very good shape (in my opinion). I have 2 other NCO swords coming and I will for sure post pics of those when I get them. Both have numbers matching and one has the capture papers included! Thanks again for the comment!

In order to read the kanji, I will require clear, close up shots of them. Presently, you have them shown sideways. To properly read the kanji, the butt of the tang must be at the bottom of the picture and the cutting edge the top. It will be the name of the anonymous arsenal worker who made the blade and the longer writing will be the month and year, which will be either 1944 or 1945. There is no information available on the men who made these factory blades as there is no interest in identifying them.
    BOB

Attachment 352239Attachment 352240Attachment 352241

- - Updated - -

I have added pics of the tang. I think you have to click on the "Attachment" to view the pics. I hope that helps. The one side with the longer characters is worn and hard to see, so I did the best I could with the pics. thanks again for your help.

Your attachments are not working. Please try again using our photo posting so they stay with the thread.
    BOB

A really nice item thanks for showing it im envious lol

?

Looks like you have have a Gifu stamp on the sword tang. Compared to the "sho" stamp, a rather uncommon stamp to come across imo. Nice sword!

Tom

OK. I'm going to try the pics again. Hopefully this works! WWII Japanese Sword---real deal??WWII Japanese Sword---real deal??WWII Japanese Sword---real deal??

- - Updated - -

Thanks for the comments. I have 3 swords coming. I just got the second, so I am going to post pics of that one in a few minutes...also wanting feedback on it's authenticity. thanks!

The name is Yoshimichi. The date side is too badly pitted for me to make out the important kanji that give the year and month.
    BOB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast