Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Yosegaki flag, authentic or fake?

Article about: Dear experts. Please help with the flag. Thanks a lot in advance. Sincerely, Tim.

Default Yosegaki flag, authentic or fake?

Dear experts. Please help with the flag. Thanks a lot in advance. Sincerely, Tim.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Yosegaki flag, authentic or fake?   Yosegaki flag, authentic or fake?  

Yosegaki flag, authentic or fake?   Yosegaki flag, authentic or fake?  

Yosegaki flag, authentic or fake?   Yosegaki flag, authentic or fake?  

I don't see any obvious issues with it. The kanji seem to be in several different handwritings, which is consistent with multiple people signing the flag. Leather corner ties and construction look good too. Do you know what material it is made of? Hinomaru from the war era were generally made from silk to support the native Japanese silk industry. Hopefully someone else can provide an opinion as well, as there are plenty of people here far more knowledgeable in this field than I am.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, he is clearly made of silk, although the photo did not manage to convey this.

Nice “one-looker” hinomaru yosegaki to
    五十嵐孟二
    Igarashi Takeji

I’m on holiday and only have an iPhone, so further research is too difficult for me.
    Oh, top main slogan is
    武運長久
    Highly skilled calligrapher wrote this; the first kanji 武 is a variation I’ve never seen before and looks like the hiragana む “mu” (武 bu is alternately pronounced mu). So, without my kana origin chart I cannot verify that the hiragana was developed from this “shortcut” style of writing 武 .... but that would be my guess.

Anyway, nice flag!

— Guy

Thank you, Guy! You are always very attentive!