Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Yosegaki Himomaru? Hinomaru Yosegaki? No, it's Hinomaru no Yosegaki!

Article about: Hi Folks, A recent learning experience (for me) prompted this thread. I expressed the sentiment that a signed flag was not, in my view, a true Yosegaki Hinomaru/Hinomaru Yosegaki. This was b

?

Default Yosegaki Hinomaru? Hinomaru Yosegaki? No, it's Hinomaru no Yosegaki!

Hi Folks,

A recent learning experience (for me) prompted this thread. I expressed the sentiment that a signed flag was not, in my view, a true Yosegaki Hinomaru/Hinomaru Yosegaki. This was based on my belief that the term was best used to describe flags signed by well wishers rather than for commemorative purposes etc. A member over on WAF, Nick Komiya, corrected me, or perhaps enlightened me, to the broader true meaning and usage of the term. I'll quote his comments below and they will give you an idea of what I learnt and perhaps it will be of value to some of you as well.

Regards,
    Stu

"If you and 2 other people sign a card of good cheer together for a friend in hospital, that is a perfect Yosegaki. Happy Birthday cards in the office are normally all Yosegaki, too, as it merely means "write one after another close together". Hinomaru literally means "The sun orb" and is the name of the national flag of Japan. So the flags with signatures are Hinomaru Yosegaki, not Yosegaki Hinomaru. That is because adjectives come before the noun and Hinomaru serves like an adjective. Actually the correct Japanese is Hinomaru no Yosegaki, which makes the adjective role clear in grammar."
    Last edited by Stu W; 09-03-2013 at 05:54 AM.