Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

1945 German bayonet?

Article about: Went to an antiques centre today, to find there was a corner rented out by a local military dealer who runs the military fair in the area. I was assured by the antiques centre owner that he

Default Re: 1945 German bayonet?

Quote by ToxicGas View Post
    I agree that the blade form is different to WW2 German bayonets I've seen. It does have the 'TIGER SOLINGEN' marking though, who manufactured K98s during the war. I imagine though that they produced bayonets before and after too.

Don't give up on finding things, you just have to get used to dealing with a lot of junk before you find treasure.

Mat
    I was thinking of it as a combat bayo (wooden grips, hilt etc look that way)...which AFAIK Tiger didn't make....however, I wonder, it could be about the right size for a parade bayo blade which I believe Tiger made (not sure though as I'm not really into parade bayos?), the larger flat ricasso bit also is about right for a parade bayo blade, not sure how the hilt and grips fit into the picture (did they make parade bayos with these like this?), maybe some sort of hybrid made up...dunno when though?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1945 German bayonet?
    P
    Many

daggers Lakesidetrader German Dagger & Military Collectable Site
    most everything The Collector's Guild
    guns (deacts) Deactivated guns for sale | GunStar

tom
    ps im sure others will tell you some dealers as well

Quote by Time Bandit View Post
    I was thinking of it as a combat bayo (wooden grips, hilt etc look that way)...which AFAIK Tiger didn't make....however, I wonder, it could be about the right size for a parade bayo blade which I believe Tiger made (not sure though as I'm not really into parade bayos?), the larger flat ricasso bit also is about right for a parade bayo blade, not sure how the hilt and grips fit into the picture (did they make parade bayos with these like this?), maybe some sort of hybrid made up...dunno when though?
    I'm not at all an expert on these things, I was just doing some quick research based on the maker's marking, which I have seen around. From what I found, I believe they did manufacture parade bayonets, but the blade didn't match up to any I saw... the ricasso is longer. I leave this to those who know what they're talking about, I'm sure someone can answer this definitively.

Mat

?

Thanks for the links! I'll keep my eyes open. And if this bayonet isn't a safe purchase then I won't fork over £45 for it. Also, in general opinion, would a M35 helmet with surviving decal (though one weak) and full inner lining be worth £475?

I've just had a gander at my one and only parade bayo (it's not a Tiger one though) and the blade on this is not like the one in the opening picture, the ricasso (whilst bigger than a combat bayo one) is still smaller than the one pictured and the fuller is different too, not sure though if the blades were made to a standard spec or if the makers all had their own set up but the one I have is definitely different to the blade pictured so maybe that rules out that idea.

Whatever it is I think I'd still give this one a miss, plenty of proper K98 combat and parade bayos out there.

?

Tiger Solingen is maker Robert Klaas,but I can only find dress bayos made by them,not combat bayos.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Without taking it apart I cannot be 100% sure, however to me the bayonet looks like a Spanish M 1943 with a P.R.8 on the crossguard. Made in two pieces like a dress bayonet it would take only a brief trip down to "Joe's Auto Parts and Garage" to get the blade swapped out. (That is assuming of course that you don't already have a few hand tools.) So all this business of a plaque reading: "A souvenir of the campaign in Germany 1945"............ "German WWII bayonet". is at best an outright lie because it's just some parts from different sources masquerading as something else.

As for acquiring original 98K bayonets I would personally be careful. Having seen individuals who might be squared away on daggers, but know next to nothing about bayonets. And might have grading standards that at best (IMO) are either unrealistic or ................... . FP

dont lose hope ,get yourself along to a few local fairs and get to know some dealers,you will learn who you can trust and who knows their stuff,unfortunately German militaria is so valuable now it is worth people spending time perfecting thier fakes,take a look at some of the fake helmets on here and you will get the idea
    Nigel

?

Frogprince is total right a handle of spanish M43 was added on a dress KS98 blade, as the mounting of spanish M43 is same as dress pieces, with riveting blade inside of handle.

This one is not right, and not worth the money.
    Save for a good original bayo.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast