Become our sponsor and display your banner here

The 1st K98 bayonet

Article about: I got this from a collector friend of mine who bought it from the son of a Canadian WWII vet. How this ended up with a Canadian WWII vet, I do not know. The big draw back to it was that it h

?

Default The 1st K98 bayonet

I got this from a collector friend of mine who bought it from the son of a Canadian WWII vet. How this ended up with a Canadian WWII vet, I do not know. The big draw back to it was that it had been stored in a basement for decades and was in near relic condition. Had it not been an original 1st production of a K98 bayonet, I would have passed. That being said it was an original, 1st production of a K98 bayonet and I did not want to see it further degrade into a relic or end up in the scrap.

It was produced by removing the blade from a 71/84 bayonet and adding the new handle so it could be mounted to the new Gew88 rifle. The cross guard on this one is marked to the 5. Westfalisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr 53 who most notably fought at Verdun in 1916. The scabbard is a steel WWI model.

As I said earlier, had it not been what it was, I would not have done anything with it, but in this case I could not help myself. I soaked it in kerosene for 2 weeks (after removing the grips,of course) and polished all the rust away with a fine stainless steel brush. The grips were very brittle and had to be stabilized with a watered down wood glue solution from the back side, the fronts were only cleaned with soap and water.

I know a lot of people don"t believe in doing such a thing, but I feel like I have preserved a little piece of history.

Jim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	167.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	651347   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pumkin patch 013.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	227.7 KB 
ID:	651348  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	168.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	213.7 KB 
ID:	651349   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pumkin patch 010.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	651350  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

The end result
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	190.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	651352   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	before and after.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	651353  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	040.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	199.6 KB 
ID:	651354   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b and a 2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	651355  

?

I didn't do much with the blade. I don't know if it was the high carbon content or some other materials in this type of old forged steel, but it rust differently than the rest. It is almost layered and really didn't pit. It seemed as though it just rusted away a "layer" here and there, but only on top.

Jim

?

Good job,you saved a piece of history....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Nice job I am in the camp to save a piece of history do it. timothy

Great Job Jim preserving History.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill