Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

44 ASW Bayonet w/ Riveted Grips, Rare?

Article about: I took a look at the link Jim P posted, and to me I saw what could be a fair amount of rust on the scabbard with some other questions still remaining that would have prompted a request (if I

RZM
    ?

Default 44 ASW Bayonet w/ Riveted Grips, Rare?

Greetings everyone,

I picked this up from a veteran a while back, and I have decided to let it go. As I was researching prices, I noticed that the riveted grip bayonets are bringing $400+ on ebay! I saw one sell for close to $700 and another for almost $500. The one I have is almost unissued and is in excellent condition, save for the typical runner marks and a little surface rust. My question is, what makes these so desirable? Also, what would be a good price to put on this one? It's a matching set with no frog. The pictures make the blade appear "white", but in person it has about 90% of it's bluing. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 44 ASW Bayonet w/ Riveted Grips, Rare?   44 ASW Bayonet w/ Riveted Grips, Rare?  

44 ASW Bayonet w/ Riveted Grips, Rare?   44 ASW Bayonet w/ Riveted Grips, Rare?  

44 ASW Bayonet w/ Riveted Grips, Rare?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 44 ASW Bayonet w/ Riveted Grips, Rare?
    P
    Many

?

Thats weird that those bayos are going for that much.

As long as I can remember, the riveted German 98K (S. 84/98) bayonets have always commanded a premium price, with the gray phosphate finished ones by this maker even higher. With, like many other things, a sliding scale with the best quality pieces getting the most money. And the actual condition IMO is a very important factor. With an old greeting-joke among collectors when discussing something being: "Now is that a 'dealers excellent' - or is it a 'collectors excellent' ?? (With even some well known dealers sometimes habitually giving what they are selling several grades up from what a dedicated collector might rate the item.) That said, I haven't been tracking prices for a while, and I don't have a value in mind for a comparable riveted bayonet in the overall condition that this example is in. Best Regards, Fred

?

Every collector of the 98k bayo want one and that is always going to drive the price up. I try and keep an eye on them on ebay and prices as are you say, anywhere from $4-700. One in similar condition as yours just sole for $666.00, yes $666.00.

Nice RARE RARE Late WW2 Rivets Grip German K98 Bayonet Matching Scabbard 1944 | eBay

Jim

Pricing like that comes from 2 types of people...those who have no clue..and think all German memorabilia is expensive..or the person who does their homework and wants to try to see who would be sucker enough to buy it for that price........ as we have all seen with repro stuff selling over $1500 in some cases.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

RZM
    ?

Thanks for the info guys! I guess Ebay would be the best place for mine. I'm not really an edged weapons guy, so it's not a piece I NEED in my collection.

Thanks again!

?

WOW!!! Some of those prices I would expect for a Grey Ghost. But for just a matching riveted handle K98 bayonet????
    Go for it RZM, you might win big on ebay and hit the jackpot!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by RZM View Post
    Thanks for the info guys! I guess Ebay would be the best place for mine. I'm not really an edged weapons guy, so it's not a piece I NEED in my collection.

Thanks again!
    While the one I showed sold high, way too high IMO, that doesn't always happen. I wouldn't be too disappointed if it sold in the $350 to $400 range as that is more realistic. You have to remember that one of the guy's who really wanted one is out of the hunt after spending a wad on one.

Jim

RZM
    ?

That's a good point, Jim. However, I was about to list it on there with a "Buy It Now" of $150! I'm glad I decided to search specifically for a riveted grip bayonet, lol. I have my eye on a certain pistol, so whatever this brings is going to help fund that purchase.

?

Well at $150 it would have sold quickly

Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast