Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

afrika corps bayonet sheath?

Article about: i just bought this bayonet and the sheath has a tan paint on it, i assume this is camouflage used by DAK soldiers? has anyone seen anything like this before? Opinions please

jager17
    ?

Default afrika corps bayonet sheath?

i just bought this bayonet and the sheath has a tan paint on it, i assume this is camouflage used by DAK soldiers? has anyone seen anything like this before? Opinions please
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture afrika corps bayonet sheath?  

2. # ADS

Default Re: afrika corps bayonet sheath?

Hi, firstly there was no such thing as a "DAK" issue bayonet scabbard. No factory produced a tan yellow painted scabbard.

The painted finishes were applied in the field and are not that common.

The paint on your has a very "lemon yellow" appearance to it. DAK "Gelbbraun" was a much more "mustard yellow" shade.

Do you have any history behind this peice? Repaints and "fakes" abound.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi

the color is difficult to determine.
    That can also be a yellowed white. I would even accept that very much. So rather winter camouflage color.

The DAK yellow and the "Einheitsfarbe 1942" were already different.

Otherwise, the Bayonet seems to have been edited. I can see grooved grooves in the wooden handles and the screws have been tampered with.

The problem is that the color may have been on it after 1945.

do bayonet and divide have the same numbers?

Sometimes it's difficult to make a determination, and sometimes it's not. My first DAK rig that I acquired was from a veteran's relative that had some other items that a good friend of mine purchased. The (matching) bayonet was in a tropical frog that was permeated with the fine sand/particles you find in the desert with the unprotected by the frog lower scabbard worn as if by those types of particles. The dividing line noticeable, so I had no problem with the statements that the GI had been in North Africa and later Germany. Best Regards, Fred