Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Bakelite grips

Article about: Hello all i have a 37 marked bayonet and it has bakelite grips ,would that have been seen that early

Default Bakelite grips

Hello all i have a 37 marked bayonet and it has bakelite grips ,would that have been seen that early

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bakelite grips
    P
    Many

Yes. 1937 was a transition year from wood grips to black/brown bakelite. Some 1937 marked S 84/98 will have wood grips, others bakelite.

Hello

Pictures (also of the condition), manufacturer and serial number would be absolutely necessary here for assessment. Otherwise you can not say whether it originally belongs together.

Handle scales can also be replaced later.

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Hello

Pictures (also of the condition), manufacturer and serial number would be absolutely necessary here for assessment. Otherwise you can not say whether it originally belongs together.

Handle scales can also be replaced later.
    Same opinion. There was a certain amount of the period reworking of service bayonets, I've even seen a Weimar era bayonet with black plastic grips, but perfectly original for the TR period. With other multi-generational parts all renumbered to match and a Depot stamp (that kind of combination not seen very often). Conversely an end or near end of yearly production 1937 bayonet that does not have another (grip) serial number or indication of being recycled fits the profile I would expect. Best Regards, Fred

A revision often took place after 1945 in the GDR and other Eastern Bloc countries.

Thanks will post pics monday work nights this weekend and will not have time too dig out the bayonet

Totally agree seeing the bayonet in photos will confirm all features as to authenticity. But the OP's question was a simple "did 1937 dated bayonets have bakelite grips".