Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Black finished WKC bayonet

Article about: Here is a real nice WKC bayonet with the rarely seen black finish. It has the early WK & C trademark.

?

Quote by Kris1981 View Post
    Hi,

This might be of interest to you:

Private purchase KS98 sawback bayonet
    I'm not sure this is a good example, the scabbard is not original to the bayonet and both have the same layer of repainted paint.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

I've seen several black finished hilts on WWI and early Weimar era dress bayonets and swords. I think it was just a fashion choice rather than anything official, but don't quote me on that. Here's a few I own, two of the bayonets are unmarked, and the one by the Bavarian officer's sword is marked ACS and has a blued finish. The sword is a Carl Eickhorn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackened 1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	174.9 KB 
ID:	880199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackened 2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	880201

Quote by sb98 View Post
    I've seen several black finished hilts on WWI and early Weimar era dress bayonets and swords. I think it was just a fashion choice rather than anything official, but don't quote me on that. Here's a few I own, two of the bayonets are unmarked, and the one by the Bavarian officer's sword is marked ACS and has a blued finish. The sword is a Carl Eickhorn.
    I agree, but don't quote me on that either ;-)

I'm really not sure about the paint. But like I said, I didn't handle enough of these to be able to spot a re-paint job. If so, he/she did a good job and I'd say even removed the grips (if that's even possible at all). I can't see any indication of other paint (or no paint) below the grips.

In any case, I'll take your hands-on experience for truth and consider it painted. Thanks!

PS: the knife bayonet on the left in your picture has symmetrical cutting edges separated by a thin central fuller? It is discussed in "German combat knifes" by Méry aswell (showing a version "in the white" though). How long are the blades of those short models?

?

Kris1981 - The bayonet you posted is a nice one and a desirable model. Since it has a WWII era scabbard that was clearly painted and that paint seems to match the paint on the hilt, it's reasonable to assume both were painted post war sometime. It may have had black paint originally, it's just hard to tell now.

The double bladed one I posted isn't the same model as the one in the book you mention. This one has a non-functioning press stud and the blade is about 8 1/4"

Maybe I can add a little to this discussion.
    First I will post a fighting knife in my collection. It is an early Anton Wingen with a black painted hilt, the metal under the black paint is a natural color. It has no fixing groove nor push button. It appears to be factory painted with horn slabs.
    Ralph.

Name:	0.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	225.6 KB 
ID:	881765

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	206.3 KB 
ID:	881766

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	881767

Name:	35.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	881768

Name:	37.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	223.3 KB 
ID:	881769
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

The reason I posted the fighting knife is because I also have a bayonet also produced by Anton Wingen with a black painted hilt. Although there is very little paint missing, the color of the metal beneath the black paint seems to be more of a polished finish, or shinier. I have looked closely at the paint job and am convinced it is a very nice even factory finish. There are no brush strokes and with a loop and extra light, I was able to determine the black paint was applied before the stag grips were put on as the paint goes around the edges and under the stag.
    Ralph.
    P.S. The dress frog and portepee are not original to the bayonet.

Name:	0.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	228.2 KB 
ID:	881770

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	225.8 KB 
ID:	881771

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	881772

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	881773

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	881774

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	218.6 KB 
ID:	881775
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Ralph, A friend of mine did some specialization with the black dress bayonets and trench knives, and yours and the others posted earlier are very similar. With my sense of it being that there were normally factory finished, and my gut reaction wartime to conserve nickel and/or reduce reflections. And possibly later as a new military tradition before nickel plating reasserted itself. Nice examples. Best Regards, Fred

Thank you for your comments Ralph! Very nice examples indeed. To me, it doesn't really matter if a dress bayonet has a black finish or not. The one I posted is the first dress-piece I bought, which happens to be black ;-)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123