Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Blood grooves on Bayonets

Article about: by Bochmann But you have to remember too the historic element of the dagger(s) in question as their purpose was originally to be used on it's own or in conjuntion with a sword or to finish a

Default Re: Blood grooves on Bayonets

Here is a photo of a Japanese bayonet where the fuller is almost full length of the blade itself.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Blood grooves on Bayonets  
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Blood grooves on Bayonets
    P
    Many

?

Thumbs up Re: Blood grooves on Bayonets

Blood grooves on BayonetsThen there is this Bad Boy! The Swiss 1914 Pioneer Bayonet. OAL is 24" with a blade that is 19". I have one that is in the earlier leather scabbard,but my cell phone pic could not do it justice! So I got a pic off a yahoo search.
    If you notice one side of the blade has a fuller and the other side is flat. I have to say out of all my bayonets and sawtooth's, I like this one the best!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Nice sawback!

?

Blood grooves in my historical travels on blades are for a structure purpose. Stiffening of blade and lightening of the blade. Ditto and back up to what many of you boys have stated. Cheers!
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Hallo,

i can olny speak for the german part.

The Name "Blutrinnen" or "blood groves" nerver realy exist...

The correct name for german bayontes is "Hohlkehle" or "Hohlbahn"... (hollow?? fuller??).

It was made because the blade is more stable und lighter, like corrugated metal.

Regards

Being in agreement with the above and others about the purpose of "fullers" or grooves in blades to structurally stiffen blades they go back centuries. With for example, sword blades from circa the Napoleonic Wars/earlier made in both the flat or grooved manner. And during the Napoleonic Wars reports of stabbing wounds from the French Cuirassier swords to the body statistically more fatal than slashing wounds from British swords because of the greater likelihood of infections. Best Regards, Fred

Hi. Just stumbled on the topic. What great read. I too feel the design was to strengthen the bade while reducing weight/material with perhaps the added bonus of easier withdrawal from bodies while allowing the blood to flow while in the body so the enemy will bleed out fater. Pictured a 1939 WKC.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Blood grooves on Bayonets   Blood grooves on Bayonets  

Blood grooves on BayonetsBlood grooves on BayonetsBlood grooves on Bayonets

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Blood grooves on BayonetsThen there is this Bad Boy! The Swiss 1914 Pioneer Bayonet. ...
    If you notice one side of the blade has a fuller and the other side is flat.
    Hi, Phil !

The "fuller", (Hohlbahn / Hohlkehle), IMO, was "invented", to give the blade stability, (strenghten the structure of the blade).

For example, you can find a fuller at the one side, and, a "flat" surface on the opposite side of the blade, on an yugoslav, (Kingdom of Yugoslavia), M24 Artillery sidearm.

Such workmanship you can find on the engine bonnet, or, on submachine gun´s !
    In the german language the technical term´s "sicken"

Cheers,
    R.

another one:

Blood grooves on BayonetsBlood grooves on BayonetsBlood grooves on Bayonets

LOL...WOW >_<... This one created some stir and discussion.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast