Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can anyone help me identify this type 98's numerical attributes?

Article about: That frog is dangerous looks too good. Nice information Sleepwalker again that frog needs posted in a fake section some where. timothy

?

Default Can anyone help me identify this type 98's numerical attributes?

I acquired this WW2 German Army bayonet this past weekend. Searching the internet the best id I can make is a M1884/98III Riveted Grip.(Plastic Grips). It possibly was made in 1944 by Horster & Co. in Solingen.

Can anyone help in identifying the various numbers shown on the knife and scabbard most of which I guess to be possibly production run or inspector numbers.

I am especially interested in the picture with "3370" and a stylized "V" with what appears to be a two pronged fork design on the upper right part of the "V". Could this be a maker's mark vice an inspector's mark and if a maker's mark who is the manufacturer?
    Tnx

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW2 GERMAN ARMY BAYONET-1.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	560081   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW2 GERMAN ARMY BAYONET-2.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	235.2 KB 
ID:	560082  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW2 GERMAN ARMY BAYONET-3.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	560083   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW2 GERMAN ARMY BAYONET-4.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	560084  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW2 GERMAN ARMY BAYONET-6.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	560086   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW2 GERMAN ARMY BAYONET-7.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	560087  

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

You may find some info here, k98 bayonets data and registry

Hello W4 looks like you acquired to nice K98 Bayonets......and member Mpnox provided a very resourceful list of makers and dates....if there are still questions the seasoned bayonet collectors will help you out with further information.
    The bayo frogs may need a second opinion as Im not sure of their construction..if it is German related. Have patience and I will keep your thread at the top until someone answers your questions which will be shortly. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I'm seeing a 1941 date on the bayonet from the pics. It is a mis-match set.
    '4824' is the scabbard serial number. '3370' is the serial of the bayonet.
    The 'v' is it's production range - after 10,000 bayonets were produced,
    the letter 'a' was added, and so on.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Walkwolf is correct in every thing original 84/98 mismatched bayonet and scabbard but having said that they are often found that way scabbards got mixed around. I have a lot of them. Frog looks good. bayonet maker is next to the 41 date I can't make it out could be ASW All in all nice set. timothy

It's not a riveted example as these are rare and sort after! it's missing the screw nut, well looks to be, need a shot of the other side. Here's one of my early wood grip missing the nut
    Last edited by reneblacky; 08-27-2013 at 08:59 AM. Reason: added text & pic

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    It's not a riveted example as these are rare and sort after! it's missing the screw nut, well looks to be, need a shot of the otherside
    I agree,it`s a 41asw and the nuts are missing from the handle screws.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Nothing to really add for the bayonet, but I'm not 100% on board for the frog and will need to do some checking. Having a vague recollection of some frogs from India(?) with a reasonably good simulation of the marking, but bad rivets and leather that was not quite right. Fred

Hello,

yes the frog is a fake / copy

Regards

the scabbard is a yugoslavian rework, because of the number on the frog stud.... may be the bayonet too

the number for example means: 3370 v - 41 asw = the 223.370 example out of 1941 from the maker E & F Hörster Solingen for the Waffenamt Kontrakt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast