Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Carl Eickhorn dress bayonet - scabbard question

Article about: I purchased this dress bayonet at a local auction and the scabbard looks more like a k98 bayonet than a dress style. It is not numbered and has the screw on the edge. Are there examples of d

Default Carl Eickhorn dress bayonet - scabbard question

I purchased this dress bayonet at a local auction and the scabbard looks more like a k98 bayonet than a dress style. It is not numbered and has the screw on the edge. Are there examples of dress bayonets issued in this type of scabbard or should it be replaced to be more accurate?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Carl Eickhorn dress bayonet - scabbard question   Carl Eickhorn dress bayonet - scabbard question  

Carl Eickhorn dress bayonet - scabbard question   Carl Eickhorn dress bayonet - scabbard question  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Carl Eickhorn dress bayonet - scabbard question
    P
    Many

?

The scabbard is for a combat 84/98 from about 1934 to the early forties. It is unmarked , so it could be for a "commercial" 84/98 or could be a blank replacement scabbard. A black painted ks 98 scabbard would be more appropriate.

Jim

Very nice early Eickhorn KS 98.

In agreement with Jim P on the scabbard. Is there a Eagle WaA stamped to the scabbard ball (finial)?

?

Same question any stamps on ball finial?

Quote by AndyB View Post
    Same question any stamps on ball finial?
    no. no markings on scabbard.

?

Thanks so probably a blanko "commerzial "piece scabbard.

As Jim says s84/98 scabbard need KS98 one here are a couple of them to compare. timothy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Carl Eickhorn dress bayonet - scabbard question   Carl Eickhorn dress bayonet - scabbard question  

tkissinger
    ?

This is a late reply. I have a dress bayonet and scabbard combination almost identical to the one Josephc posted. My bayonet is marked PUMA but the scabbard is blued, unmarked or numbered, with screw on side and the four lines on the frog grip bit. Bayonet appears to be a "commerzial" type.

So here's the question, it's usually assumed this mismatch occurred years later, but as these items were purchased at military outfitter shops, is it not possible the original owner chose a blued commercial scabbard over the standard painted scabbard for reasons of durability and asthetics. We all know how easily scratched the painted scabbards are, and how crappy they look when they rust. So maybe this is not mismatched, but a custom option, like stag horn grips.

tkissinger
    ?

I have never owned a Dress bayonet that had a scabbard with a screw on the side. Sure I have bought them but it was obvious that is was not original to bayonet. The posted images are from a Klaas book shows them. Never to old to learn.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast