Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Double date Horster 43/44 ASW

Article about: Here is my double date Horster. While the 43/44 is,I believe,the most common of the double date bayonets, it is still rare enough I would want to have one, even if the condition is less than

?

Default Double date Horster 43/44 ASW

Here is my double date Horster. While the 43/44 is,I believe,the most common of the double date bayonets, it is still rare enough I would want to have one, even if the condition is less than desirable. At 1st glance you would think that it's in pretty good shape for a late war 84/98.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Double date Horster 43/44 ASW   Double date Horster 43/44 ASW  

Double date Horster 43/44 ASW   Double date Horster 43/44 ASW  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Double date Horster 43/44 ASW
    P
    Many

?

Here's where it gets ugly, somebody took a grinder to the blade. If it weren't for the fact it is a hard to find double date, I would have walked on by. That and the price was really good.

Jim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Double date Horster 43/44 ASW   Double date Horster 43/44 ASW  

Nice hard to find double date I have only one a bym they are as you state not easy to find in any condition. timothy

Quote by Jim P View Post
    Here's where it gets ugly, somebody took a grinder to the blade. If it weren't for the fact it is a hard to find double date, I would have walked on by. That and the price was really good.

Jim
    Hi Jim...has this bayo been period sharpened or a recent grind. I have seen Vet bring backs that were also sharpened. Its not uncommon to see some of these bayos like this. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi Jim...has this bayo been period sharpened or a recent grind. I have seen Vet bring backs that were also sharpened. Its not uncommon to see some of these bayos like this. Regards Larry
    Hi Larry, While I would like to believe it was done by some soldier in the closing days of WWII, there is just no way to know for sure. The bare metal where it has been ground matches the condition of the rest of the bayo, so I guess, in my mind, that's a plus. I just wish it wasn't so rough. While some don't want any sharpening at all, I don't mind a nice clean edge on my combat blades.

Jim

Good find. Because most double dates are seen at the transition from one year to another I've thought of these (more or less) mid year 1944 Hörsters as being in a somewhat unique category by themselves. Seen in the "t,", "u", and "v" blocks (with perhaps some stragglers at the ends). And the occasional 'can' marked welded scabbards. Best Regards, Fred

?

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    Good find. Because most double dates are seen at the transition from one year to another I've thought of these (more or less) mid year 1944 Hörsters as being in a somewhat unique category by themselves. Seen in the "t,", "u", and "v" blocks (with perhaps some stragglers at the ends). And the occasional 'can' marked welded scabbards. Best Regards, Fred

Hi Fred, glad to see someone I remember from the "old days". I too find it interesting that they are in the middle of the years production with proper dates before and after. That is why I never really bought into the theory that they were rejected blades from "43". I find the broken die theory much more plausible.

Jim

?

Very Nice Jim.
    Here is my double dated 43/44 ASW. It is serial number 5315 t. It was a good bye gift from my coworkers when I was leaving VMFT 401. At first I thought that it was a mismatched scabbard. But then saw the serial numbers matched, I was VERY Happy with it!!!
    It also has been sharpened but they did a good job at it.
    Double date Horster 43/44 ASW

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

That's a real nice bayo Phil, your co-workers must have thought alot of you! That is a nice clean edge, the kind that doesn't bother me at all.

Jim