Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Double Dated matching E. u. F. Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & Scabbard

Article about: Bought at auction - this K98 bayonet has matching numbers on blade and scabbard but the dates are different. Blade 43 asw and scabbard 44 asw. Blade bluing is good but there is some rust/pit

Default Double Dated matching E. u. F. Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & Scabbard

Bought at auction - this K98 bayonet has matching numbers on blade and scabbard but the dates are different. Blade 43 asw and scabbard 44 asw. Blade bluing is good but there is some rust/pitting present. There is an "M" or "W" marked in metal under the grips. The scabbard is excellent finish but odd marks/indents on each edge opposite one another - any ideas on how these would form?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Double Dated matching E. u. F.  Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & Scabbard   Double Dated matching E. u. F.  Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & Scabbard  

Double Dated matching E. u. F.  Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & Scabbard   Double Dated matching E. u. F.  Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & Scabbard  

Double Dated matching E. u. F.  Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & Scabbard   Double Dated matching E. u. F.  Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & Scabbard  

Double Dated matching E. u. F.  Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & Scabbard  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Double Dated matching E. u. F.  Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & Scabbard
    P
    Many

Default Re: Double Dated matching E. u. F. Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & Scabbard

Quote by josephc View Post
    Bought at auction - this K98 bayonet has matching numbers on blade and scabbard but the dates are different. Blade 43 asw and scabbard 44 asw. Blade bluing is good but there is some rust/pitting present. There is an "M" or "W" marked in metal under the grips. The scabbard is excellent finish but odd marks/indents on each edge opposite one another - any ideas on how these would form?
    A 1944 vintage bayonet which are in consistent specific multiple letter blocks from the Hörster firm, it's a good find. With the underlying reason behind it not known to a certainty, but it most probably has to do with the temporary unavailability of proper replacement dated stamping dies. With some Mauser rifle makers simply using the "4" portion (grinding off the rest) of a previous year stamp on the receiver rings to keep production going. As did bayonet makers "ddl" and "bym". But not Hörster firm, which seems to have simply pulled out of storage its old (19)43 date stamp and used it as is without grinding off the "3" until suitable replacements were acquired. Regards, FP

Just a little extra to add onto what Fred has commented on is that both parts are from the producer EF Horster company,,so although somewhat mismatched but still in the same family. Here is the link to a list of makers. German WWII Alphabetic Ordnance Codes: a-b

Regards Larry

And this link also with the 2 highlighted links, which will lead you to the above link. https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/dagge...-codes-233978/
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Yes, that's correct, because while the year/codes were different (43 versus 44) the matching serial number bayonets are factory originals. (Which does not mean that there was not some argument "back in the day".) But a careful compilation of the small manufacturing details and serial numbers showed that they were part of a continuous production run in the "t", "u" "v" range with (from memory) possibly some stragglers in the "s" and maybe the "w" blocks (I'm sure that I have some notes, but that is my best recollection at the moment). Best regards to all, Fred

duv
    ?

hallo I have also 43/44 asw also "u" block number is 6584u and yours 6554u
    Double Dated matching E. u. F.  Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & ScabbardDouble Dated matching E. u. F.  Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & ScabbardDouble Dated matching E. u. F.  Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & ScabbardDouble Dated matching E. u. F.  Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & ScabbardDouble Dated matching E. u. F.  Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & ScabbardDouble Dated matching E. u. F.  Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & ScabbardDouble Dated matching E. u. F.  Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & ScabbardDouble Dated matching E. u. F.  Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & Scabbard

?

Welcome to the forum duv! Your double date Horster is in amazing condition, for a late war bayo, they don't come any nicer!

Mine is also in the "u" block.
    Jim
    Double Dated matching E. u. F.  Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & ScabbardDouble Dated matching E. u. F.  Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & Scabbard

That's a nice one , as Jim says it's in exceptional condition. And if my memory is serving me correctly in that late production serial number range it might or might not have a welded subcontracted scabbard from 'can' (August Wallmeyer,Thuringen).

duv
    ?

some more pictures, thanks for nice comments
    Double Dated matching E. u. F.  Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & ScabbardDouble Dated matching E. u. F.  Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & ScabbardDouble Dated matching E. u. F.  Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & ScabbardDouble Dated matching E. u. F.  Horster 44ASW K98 bayonet & Scabbard

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    Yes, that's correct, because while the year/codes were different (43 versus 44) the matching serial number bayonets are factory originals. (Which does not mean that there was not some argument "back in the day".) But a careful compilation of the small manufacturing details and serial numbers showed that they were part of a continuous production run in the "t", "u" "v" range with (from memory) possibly some stragglers in the "s" and maybe the "w" blocks (I'm sure that I have some notes, but that is my best recollection at the moment). Best regards to all, Fred
    I agree with Fred that these 43/44asw should be considered matching 1944 production bayonets. As far as the production series ...... The first confirmed examples are actually in the n block with continuous production through o, p, q, r, s, t, u, v, ending with the last known pieces found in the very early w block.

Quote by Jim P View Post
    Welcome to the forum duv! Your double date Horster is in amazing condition, for a late war bayo, they don't come any nicer!

Mine is also in the "u" block.
    Jim

From numerous observations it is not at all uncommon to locate these 43/44asw bayonets in exceptional condition. Many pieces especially in the last letter blocks of t, u, v, and even the few known w series examples are in what appears to be unissued, near mint condition. One might speculate they were never issued and possibly captured from a supply depot or other storage facility. My thoughts only ......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast