Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Double Etched Bayonet; opinions?

Article about: Hi all. I recently acquired this bayonet as a representative example to go with my smattering of other bayonets, daggers, knives and so on. As can be seen it is of the "long" varie

Default Double Etched Bayonet; opinions?

Hi all.

I recently acquired this bayonet as a representative example to go with my smattering of other bayonets, daggers, knives and so on. As can be seen it is of the "long" variety, with the usual "in memory of my service time" on one side and a cavalry scene on the other. It also lacks any kind of makers mark but just the word "solingen". Although my books only mention dress bayonets in passing, I understand that non maker marked blades are not unheard of but I'd nonetheless love your opinions.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Double Etched Bayonet; opinions?
    P
    Many

The casual way you introduce this piece I assume you didn't pay an arm and a leg for it. It is as presented a rare double etch with open and closed eagle of the Alcoso style. I've only seen it on a Alcoso marked bayonet. Yes, etchings were sometimes on unmarked bayonets. Is it an authentic etching? The etching is quite good but a few little alignment issues on the cavalry scene. I really would like to see some more closeups of the etching if you don't mind.

I've had a bit of think about this one. The front "remembrance motto" etching looks Ok. But I don't like the other side cavalry scene. Superficially they look similar but close examination indicates a number of mis-alignments with the border line in the three pictorial segments. Take a look at the oakleaf decoration near the ricasso on the front compared to the back. Also the border lines under the horse riders, they are in unequal parallel with the border edge. The etching artisans who produced the TR era work would not have accepted sloppy work like that. Which leads me to surmise either the back is a post war addition, or even both are, though the remembrance etching is clearly better. I suggest you have a look at Wayne Techet's book on etched bayonets for further confirmation.
    A could point out a double etched bayonet with a rare pattern like that cavalry scene would be worth 3-4 times one with only the more common remembrance etching.