Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Etched Bayonet

Article about: Please give your opinions on the etched dress bayonet it has Solingen stamped on the blade but no makers mark. Thanks for any input z4.

Default Etched Bayonet

Please give your opinions on the etched dress bayonet it has Solingen stamped on the blade but no makers mark.

Thanks for any input z4.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Etched Bayonet   Etched Bayonet  

Etched Bayonet   Etched Bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Etched Bayonet
    P
    Many

I have no idea if this is ok or not just have to see what feedback there is.

z4

Never liked these, the etching is too precise and the Eagle looks more like a Jackdaw.......

I think Harry has seen the same tat I have at Chatham, I go to the Chatham Militaria Fairs almost every month and although there is some good stuff there are also some real spiv's flogging the same old tired crap every month........

Crappy work....I do not care for it. Another British made fake, in my opinion.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Etched bayonets are tricky, as the etch is only as clean and crisp as the craftsman doing the work, so there can be variances in every etch. If anyone ever hopes to own an etched bayo Wayne Techets book is a must. That being said, I thought I have seen this very same etch discussed as fantasy before, but don't remember where. Here is an old auction listing it as a postwar etch on a period ks98:
    UKAuctioneers.com | Antiques | Auctions | Britain | England | Online | Catalogue
    Lot 403b
    Personally, I can't say for sure one way or the other, especially looking at pictures, but I would say I'm not too keen on it. The other thing that bothers me is the grips. They just don't have the texture and color I like to see. It's not uncommon for the reverse grip to be plain and less figured, but the obverse grip usually has some figuring and color to it. These almost look like bone that has been carved a little. But, still hard for me to say absolutely bad from pictures alone.

Hope I haven't completely confused the issue,
    Jim

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Crappy work....I do not care for it. Another British made fake, in my opinion.
    That's what I thought, I got this with a few other knives so it will get put in the junk box.

Thanks to all for the input z4.

?

Quote by zephyr4 View Post
    That's what I thought, I got this with a few other knives so it will get put in the junk box.

Thanks to all for the input z4.
    While I am sure there are those who would disagree with me, I wouldn't consider it junk. It is a real ks98 bayo, frog and scabbard. Even though it has been "enhanced" with what might be a postwar etching, it still has value. Someone who would like to have an etched bayo, but unwilling or unable to spend the $1000 plus wouldn't mind owning it. There is a collectors market for it, just not as an original.

Jim

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    Luger,look for the punk hair,Iam always with him.
    I'll be there next one on the 11th May...........selling my tired old tat.......

i'm not an expert but the only thing that i've learned from Techet?s book is that when the etch presents some missing parts is a big red flag
    Etched Bayonet

Quote by lucabrnroma View Post
    i'm not an expert but the only thing that i've learned from Techet?s book is that when the etch presents some missing parts is a big red flag
    Etched Bayonet
    Well spotted I missed that.

z4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast