Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

etched bayonet info needed !!!

Article about: Hi all , new to the forum . My late fater a die hard collector left me a vast collection of goodies ! There are a few items I have not been able to identify and have had no luck through deal

550trav
    ?

Default etched bayonet info needed !!!

Hi all , new to the forum . My late fater a die hard collector left me a vast collection of goodies ! There are a few items I have not been able to identify and have had no luck through dealers , so here I am !!!
    I have a double sided etched panzer dress 98k bayo with no maker markings on it that I can find . I need help here is it a repro? or the real deal ? who would make such a nice piece and not mark it??

I have attached images , it is hard to take good pics. due to the shine or glare.

Thanks for any info.
    p.s. I hope the pics go through!!

Trav.

2. # ADS

550trav
    ?

Default Re: etched bayonet info needed !!!

ok , so im having a rough go at this !! be patient !!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture etched bayonet info needed !!!   etched bayonet info needed !!!  

550trav
    ?

last ones!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture etched bayonet info needed !!!   etched bayonet info needed !!!  

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I know it is a piece for veterans from the inscription which reads roughly: "In memory of my service".
    (It also looks like it's resting on a neat grain sack. )

It seems to be in mint condition from your attached photos, but you'll have to wait
    for a reply from someone more knowledgeable to tell you if it is really genuine or not.
    I've read that a lot of these are repros or outright fakes................

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Trav welcome to the forum, do you have any better pics of the full etch on the blade please,
    cheers Ronnie

It is unusual, but not impossible to find these etched bayonets un-marked. I say unusual, because these were mostly private purchase, and if the maker didn't mark them, then the would hardly get re-occurring business.

This is a difficult one to form opinions on, as the pictures are quite bad, and do not show what we would like to see, however, I personally doubt everything until I can be sure, and this is no exception.

My own personal thoughts on this one is it is a reproduction, the reasoning behind this statement is shown by the red arrows on the attached picture. None of which are good signs.

I have looked at my catalogues, and only found a few makers that did that etch F.W.Holler, being one of them. But the etch is much crisper, and doesn't show any traits like the one in the picture. And they were maker marked

Of course, this is just my opinion, but if you want a concrete answer, take some decent pictures without flash
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture etched bayonet info needed !!!  

?

I agree with John. This etch is a Holler pattern, sometimes also seen on Alcoso marked bayonets. The selling company would want their name 'advertised' IMHO.

This etch looks too light and sloppy to be something that I would like. That being said, the pictures are poor and better shots could help us make a better evaluation.

This etch pattern, the two Panzers or recon cars, is very often faked. Unless it were perfect in many ways, I would run away from it.

John