Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Fake double etched Dress Bayonet

Article about: This was an impulse purchase from my past, though I would post it up so others can see what the fake ones look like, I did'nt pay too much for it but I learned a valuable lesson. Regards, Re

Default Fake double etched Dress Bayonet

This was an impulse purchase from my past, though I would post it up so others can see what the fake ones look like, I did'nt pay too much for it but I learned a valuable lesson.
    Regards,
    Renmore.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fake double etched Dress Bayonet   Fake double etched Dress Bayonet  

Fake double etched Dress Bayonet   Fake double etched Dress Bayonet  

Fake double etched Dress Bayonet   Fake double etched Dress Bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fake double etched Dress Bayonet
    P
    Many

I found this unanswered dead thread in the crypt but it's worth bringing to light. The reason is; it shows not only a fake double etching, but the KS98 Dress Bayonet is in fact a post war creation, possibly by a Solingen maker in the 1950's.

First the bayonet; the overriding give away is the blade is stamped "Solingen Germany". That would never have occurred during the Third Reich, though it was a common mark in the immediate post war period. The second obvious sign is in photo 5 we see the underside of the finger guard and the ridge where the alloy cast joins is visible. In the 1930's that would have been ground off during finishing. The third flaw is the rivets are not the type used during during the TR era, or earlier. And the leather stopper is too thin.

This is probably the first post war Dress Bayonet that I've noticed, there may be others out there.

As for the etching, it's actually a very rare Alcoso etching that was only ordered once for Aufkarungs Abteilung 13, a reconnaissance unit. These were only etched on Alcoso marked KS98 bayonets, of which a few have surfaced. The quality of this etching on this post war bayonet is poor. Particularly in the shallowness of the etching and the poor attempt at a frosted background.

The original poster later realized it was a fake but, a new collector could still be fooled. I am quite curious about this post war KS98. We know the Solingen manufacturers made post war HJ knives under the "scout knife" guise. I wasn't aware this may have extended to KS98 bayonets. And did the etching date from the time of manufacture? Perhaps someone will know. Major Atwood?

Thanks Anderson, I still have it, I bought it at an auction in Ireland which was selling the contents of an old country house.I took a chance and I paid very little.I gave it to a collectible dealer in a local market to sell for me and one of his Polish customers spotted it was probably a fake and informed me.A lesson learned.