Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fake SG98 Bayonet Frogs

Article about: Here`s a bad fake frog that I have,wrong rivets,strap buttons from wrong side,and it smells like new leather,not something like 60+ years old.

?

Default Fake SG98 Bayonet Frogs

Here`s a bad fake frog that I have,wrong rivets,strap buttons from wrong side,and it smells like new leather,not something like 60+ years old.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fake SG98 Bayonet Frogs   Fake SG98 Bayonet Frogs  

JEDEM DAS SEINE

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fake SG98 Bayonet Frogs
    P
    Many

never exist until 1945...

such frog type.

well made... but not original
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fake SG98 Bayonet Frogs   Fake SG98 Bayonet Frogs  

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Here`s a bad fake frog that I have,wrong rivets,strap buttons from wrong side,and it smells like new leather,not something like 60+ years old.
    That happened not that long ago to an acquaintance of mine who got “burned” with a fairly expensive pistol holster that looked good, but was a postwar fake made of new leather. With another test sometimes being the thread which should not melt and smell like plastic.

With the topic itself bringing to mind a discussion from a while back where rivets and some other details were brought into question. Wherein (if I remember it correctly), the use of the hollow rivets and some types of tie strap studs were categorically deemed fakes, which was disproved with various and sundry period examples. But the biggest faux pas (in my estimation) was being told that some vet acquired Luftwaffe “blue” frogs were postwar fakes. And that the collector who was making the assertion, which he backed up by quoting a prestigious German Journal, was unaware that both he (and presumably the writer) had been duped with postwar vat dyed frogs that were the same blue color through and through (ie: all the parts and stitching - everything). Which is not to say that there are not period deviations with items that were made differently like the composite or “rubber” frogs of the late 1930’s/early 1940’s, HJ synthetic hanger straps, the paper holsters etc., or the later than usual special contract items.

With my other point being that (just like daggers) there are reproductions, and then there are altered originals. Like the many fake “SS” marked frogs, some 1945 dated types, misidentified Eastern European/other copies of German frogs etc. And sometimes an “in hand” examination is needed because pictures alone might not provide the clues like leather that does not smell like it should which can be helpful in making a better determination. Regards, Fred
    Last edited by Frogprince; 09-04-2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: text correction

This is a great and informative thread timothy

Repro Police bayonet dress frog:

Fake SG98 Bayonet Frogs   Fake SG98 Bayonet Frogs  

Repro Luftwaffe bayonet frog:

Fake SG98 Bayonet Frogs  

Great stuff I never knew they went to the trouble to fake a police one you learn everyday! timothy

Unfortunately, reproduction is becoming more and more diverse.

Repro breadbag bayonet frog:

Fake SG98 Bayonet Frogs  

Repro combat K98 bayonet frogs:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast