Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Firemans Bayonet

Article about: I have this fireman's dress bayonet marked A. Luneburg Kiel, Is this a rare maker for this bayonet. overhaul length 325mm blade 200mm.. Thanks for any info z4

Default Firemans Bayonet

I have this fireman's dress bayonet marked A. Luneburg Kiel, Is this a rare maker for this bayonet.

overhaul length 325mm
    blade 200mm..

Thanks for any info z4
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Firemans Bayonet   Firemans Bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Firemans Bayonet
    P
    Many

?

As far as I can tell, August Luneburg is not a common distributor mark, but not rare either. I believe that they are only found on firemans bayonets.

Jim

That's one I haven't seen kind of like Ed Scherm of Nurenburg a distributer I think it is on a short KS98. I have a maker not often encountered. Nice fire piece BTW. timothy

Is there anyway to date this piece. I have notice that the pommel and cross guard are non magnetic.

Thanks for your replies.

z4

Aug. Luneburg, Kiel is a very scarce distributor on a KS98 bayonet, pretty rare on a fire bayonet. Dual marked fire bayonets (maker mark & distributor mark) are pretty scarce too. The maker mark is a variant for Gustav Spitzer. Tough to tell when it was made, I'd say 1936-1939 or thereabouts.

This is a combination I have never see before so thank you for sharing it.

?

Thanks for the additional info Billy. The copy of bayonet trader I have, listed it as scarce, but not rare, s o thanks for the extra info. I'm unfamiliar with the Spitzer mark, but then again, that's why I'm more of a combat blade guy, too much to keep track of

Jim

That is a terrific dress bayonet/knife Zeph......... !
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks for the update Billy.

z4

Hello,

this equipment has the correct Name Faschinenmesser... it is not a bayonet...

Fireman were this Faschinenmesser in service... so it is not pnly a dress part.

Regards

Sleepwalker is correct in that the proper term for them is Faschinenmesser which I've seen sometimes translated to "machete". But before I get some rebuttals - please permit me to add the fact that Faschinenmesser is the common term for what German and some English speakers use for the large/heavy short swords that are oftentimes seen with saw teeth. Faschinenmessers that were used by 19th century Artillery soldiers to clear fields of fire, build earthworks to protect their cannon etc. Blades that were designed to be useful tools, while at the same time could also be used in combat.

With a mid - 1930's German publication stating that pursuant to regulations issued by the Prussian Minister of the Interior that all on-duty fire fighters were to carry the hand axe (a very useful tool back then and still in current use by fire fighters). And the "Faschinenmesser" off duty as a dress sidearm. But never a "bayonet" IMO. Because in spite of the old habits or traditions of some English speaking collectors/writers etc., bayonets are supposed to go on the ends of rifles which is an impossibility for Faschinenmesser - unless it's done with something like a modern industrial grade adhesive tape.

Best Regards, Fred
    Last edited by Frogprince; 03-01-2014 at 02:13 AM. Reason: typos and clarification