Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

First K98 Bayonet

Article about: Hello Forum, I recently bought my very first K98 bayonet, its a very used looking 42, Eickhorn made bayonett, missing its frog. The scabbard is marked 1726 y, while the blade is marked 276 y

Try acetone or washbenzine

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement First K98 Bayonet
    P
    Many

Not in-hand, the holes in the grip to me in the image posted look like they might be drilled - that is something that could be explored a little further if needed. As for the most probably postwar finish it could be chemically stripped off with one of the commercial products made for that purpose and then refinished. But not something that I would do myself because it would also take off the original German applied finish when it was made, and IMO look out of place on a bayonet that has obviously had some rough treatment and/or storage take place. Best Regards, Fred

?

Could be done by aceton or something in similar form, no mechanical heavy cleaning should be done there. As correctly SW mentioned, there are woodwurms still in work probably in wood grip.

With wood-boring insect damage on antique gunstocks if it's seen in conjunction with a fine powder like residue around the holes, that's a good enough indicator to me that some active countermeasures have to be taken to be sure that they and possibly some others still at work are eliminated. On the other hand if it's old damage and the infestation doesn't look like it's active, I'm not as concerned because it's my understanding that the holes were most likely made while the insects were exiting the wood. Best Regards, Fred

If you are worried about woodworm just put this bayonet in your freezer for 48hours and they will be frozen and done with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2