Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First K98 Bayonet (with frog)

Article about: Hey everybody! got this bayonet recently and just wanted to share and see if anyone here could tell me anything more about it. It is a 42asw (I apologize for the misinformation i said in ano

Default First K98 Bayonet (with frog)

Hey everybody! got this bayonet recently and just wanted to share and see if anyone here could tell me anything more about it. It is a 42asw (I apologize for the misinformation i said in another thread where i mentioned it was a 41asw, i got a little mixed up). The number on the front of the blade is 2069C( I think its a c anyways). I cant quite read the numbers on the scabbard (I would take it out but im a fraid I might damage the frog) but I can see enough to know the scabbard and the bayonet are not matching and the scabbard is from 1937. The frog is unmarked. Sorry for the crappy pictures I was just using my phone and a table lamp. Thanks again everybody!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement First K98 Bayonet (with frog)
    P
    Many

The maker 'ASW' is E&F Horster, who returned to using wood grip
    panels in their later production. ASW bayonets can often be
    found in mint condition, suggesting they were 'liberated'
    from warehouse stores. Bayonets and scabbards from
    1937 will have an 'S' code prefix.

A good source of info on the K98 bayonet is the
    Bayonet Collectors Network, or BCN.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks Walkwolf! Will check the BCN out.

also to support Walkwolfs information...check pout the link within the K98 forum for code numbers...once you find the "ASW" letters.....to the right of that is serial coded examples you can click on and a photo will open up for viewing. Heres the link

k98 bayonets data and registry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks Larry! So the wood grips were a latter thing done by Horster? But wouldn't the C on the serial number mean it was from an earlier production block?

Wood grips were used augment the Bakelite supply due to war shortages.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Ok thanks!

?

Looks like a nice set, I would love to see some better pics when you get the opportunity.

Brad.

AndyB who is the 'keeper' of the BCN database has the best information IMO for tracking some of the information as it regarded the changes in manufacturing. With as a general observation of my own of what I have seen - being that black Bakelite was used through all of 1941 into early 1942. With Hörster ("asw") transitioning back to wood later in 1942 (it was not alone). Through almost all of 1943 when it went to a red (or orange/red) Bakelite towards the end of the year - which is what is seen on the "zz" double letter block bayonets in 1944, and later. Regards, Fred

Here are the better photographs as requested. Unfortunately the screen on my camera is broken so its hard to line up a good shot. Also there is a bit of tan paint near the bottom of the scabbard. I'm guessing this is probably from something postwar, but you can never know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast