Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

German Bayonet

Article about: Gents A friend of mine has this which he has offered me. Not sure if its German, Czech, post war ect. can anyone tell me exactly what/where its from time period etc and how much to offer for

Default German Bayonet

Gents

A friend of mine has this which he has offered me. Not sure if its German, Czech, post war ect. can anyone tell me exactly what/where its from time period etc and how much to offer for it. It has no makers mark or serial number on the blade thats why I believe it if Czech or post war.

Cheers

Ben
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Bayonet   German Bayonet  

German Bayonet  
    Ben

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Bayonet
    P
    Many

My rookie opinion says the bayonet is a late war private purchase dress bayonet, German. I am assuming the grips are wood material made to look like stag. Please correct me if I am wrong. It is my understanding there were several examples of late war dress bayonets that lack maker markings. I have seen a few for sale over the years from reputable sources that have made this claim and that is where my assumptions come from for clarification.
    John

Cheers John I have No idea on bayonets mate that's why I come to the experts
    Ben

It's neither Czech nor post war, but a Third Reich era KS98 private purchase parade or "walking out bayonet". It's not uncommon for these not to have any makers mark, I believe it depends on how they were retailed. This long blade (25cm) type is for enlisted men, the grip as John has correctly spotted appears to be the wood imitation stag horn, one of the variations a buyer could select. I wouldn't date it as late war though. More likely mid 1930's to about 1942. Overall tidy condition.

Many thanks for the confirmation. I have a chance to buy it what is a fair price to offer for it?
    Ben

No makers mark does reduce value, but the wood imitation staghorn grips are less often seen than real staghorn. So collectable from that angle, I'd estimate a range of US150-200.

Rare to see that color rifle slot ..mostly we see green or red.
    Below is a table of color an military designation.

Im not sure what color it originally was and I am sure Anderson can add his thoughts and also the accuracy of the color table below.

German Bayonet
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

It really shows how the quality of some items dropped during the War years. I would say $150-200 is high for one of these. I have gotten nice stag horn bayonets in that price range.

Gents how much would a frog and Portapee cost me for this Bayo and any idea where to get one from?
    Ben

My guess is the $50 for the Frog and $100 for the portepee. I may be a bit low but I have more patience than money.
    John

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast