Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

German bayonet pommel & crosspiece engraved

Article about: Engraving of this bayonets seems to be old and original but I need also opinions some experienced collectors. Thanks moderators and collectors!

Default German bayonet pommel & crosspiece engraved

Engraving of this bayonets seems to be old and original but I need also opinions some experienced collectors.
    Thanks moderators and collectors!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German bayonet pommel & crosspiece engraved   German bayonet pommel & crosspiece engraved  

German bayonet pommel & crosspiece engraved   German bayonet pommel & crosspiece engraved  

German bayonet pommel & crosspiece engraved  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German bayonet pommel & crosspiece engraved
    P
    Many

Default Re: German bayonet pommel & crosspiece engraved

This German Police engraved bayonet is original and resembles that of the first photos.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German bayonet pommel & crosspiece engraved   German bayonet pommel & crosspiece engraved  

German bayonet pommel & crosspiece engraved   German bayonet pommel & crosspiece engraved  

Attached Images Attached Images German bayonet pommel & crosspiece engraved 

It's not something that I believe is completely original. The frog seems to an ex-Czech Army frog. The grip plate on one side is noticeably undersize/misshaped. The rivets seem to be PW replacements (and we can't see what they look like on the backside). And why are the handle parts not plated like the blade?? With the "bottom line" to me being that IMO it's most likely a postwar (PW) training exercise by someone who was either learning (or already had) the same skills as a gun maker (who made or embellished) higher grade hunting rifles, and was using a dress bayonet for practice (or intentionally to sell for better price). FP

Here is an image that shows a part of what I am seeing. FP
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German bayonet pommel & crosspiece engraved  

Quote by Adyraphael View Post
    This German Police engraved bayonet is original and resembles that of the first photos.
    Yours looks lika a 98/05 style the other looks an but bether is a KS98. I think all pices are good.

The engraving doesn't look right to me, it is too 'thick' looking, and does not resemble any TR engraving I have seen before.

Everyone has to decide for themselves what legitimate period workmanship looks like. So here are some additional views, that show a grossly undersized/misshaped grip on one side. And if you look closely, an undersized grip on the other side, with a large gap between it and the pommel. And what looks like handcrafted ersatz aluminum rivets that have a noticeable gap between the rivet head and the grip. With the frog I think the “icing on the cake” that shows the intent of the one who put this particular package together. And what we need now IMO to make better informed judgements, are some really good pictures of both sides that clearly illustrate the issues that have been cited as problem areas. FP

Definitely like the look of the Police bayonet and it's etched or stamped engraving (#2).

Not fond of the first one at all. It looks odd, and I wouldn't want to pay more
    for it than a maker marked, non engraved piece - especially with an
    incorrect frog.........!
    Regards,

Steve.