Become our sponsor and display your banner here

German bayonet and scabbard

Article about: Hi guys was given this german bayonet today for my b-day. I know this is a german bayonet but what is with the scabbard. and yes they are not matching #. Gary

?

Default German bayonet and scabbard

Hi guys was given this german bayonet today for my b-day. I know this is a german bayonet but what is with the scabbard. and yes they are not matching #. Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	german bayonet 010.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	326.6 KB 
ID:	386451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	german bayonet 011.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	326.2 KB 
ID:	386452  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	german bayonet 012.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	334.9 KB 
ID:	386453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	german bayonet 014.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	302.4 KB 
ID:	386454  

Name:	german bayonet 015.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	330.5 KB 
ID:	386455   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	german bayonet 016.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	323.9 KB 
ID:	386456  

Name:	german bayonet 017.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	342.5 KB 
ID:	386457  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: German bayonet and scabbard

That's not a German K98 scabbard. I do not know what country used that scabbard. Hang on and someone will come along to identify it. Happy birthday!

just know W.K.C is the maker weyersber & kirschbaum Co. if this is german made and beleive the leather is called a "frog"

?

the ring at the bottom is a tie down around the leg for running

Collections usually start with one item, and as it is studied and information gathered sometimes it leads to other acquisitions and may even branch out into other collecting areas. From what I see in the photos the scabbard is most likely German from the 1930's with the horizontal lines on the frog stud. Which has been twisted at an angle which is most likely because the brazing bond has broken loose. And under the leather there should be a maker code or name and date. The leather frog looks like it may be Yugoslavian which had a large supply of German bayonets left over from the war. With the metal loop for a tie down strap on the scabbard ball/tip a postwar addition that I am not familiar with. BTW: I don't remember seeing the bayonet's date which is probably on the back of the blade - but the WaA253 Waffenamts on the pommel should put it sometime between 1937 and 1940. FP

?

Guys thanks for all the help. Frogprince the bayonet is dated 39 . The scabbard looks to be German with the ball on the tip ground off,and the loop add. It also has a fresh coat of black paint. I can see that it has #'s under the paint but can't make them out. Hey it was a b-day present so its got a home now. Gary