Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Honor Guard bayonet

Article about: I have never seen a chromed bayonet like that listed in the UK, although I have seen some repro etched fake bayonets. I believe that the process of applying chrome to anything here is not co

Default German Honor Guard bayonet

Ok guys, so this is the second time I have seen this:WW2 german k98 mauser BAYONET WWII early war mfg - eBay (item 360290135119 end time Oct-12-10 16:47:27 PDT) On ebay(@ link) and at a local antique store. I am curious to see if the one on ebay was made during WW2 and was plated/chromed by the Germans. I have heard the German Honor Guard had a similar bayonet, but I also know returning G.I.'s did this. If it is real, I offered the man 100 dollars the next time I come in. Is it worth 100 dollars if real. Is it worth buying if not?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Honor Guard bayonet
    P
    Many

Default Re: German Honor Guard bayonet

On the e-bay site he is only asking $65.

I kind of think it is later plating, especially being a mis-match.
    Sometimes this is done to make a worn or rusted
    blade look 'nicer'.
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Hi B Bop,I have never seen a chromed mauser Honor Guard rifle,but if anyone ever finds one I have a chromed bayonet and chromed clip and cartridge to go with it. ..If you had a sister named Lulu would you be called B Bop `n Lulu ?
    Attached Images Attached Images German Honor Guard bayonet 
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Does anyone have period photos of the Honour Guards
    and these plated weapons ?
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Does anyone have period photos of the Honour Guards
    and these plated weapons ?
    This has been discussed on other forums and nobody has ever seen any.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

I agree: No such thing as an "Honour Guard bayonet".

Save your money.

Cheers, Ade.

In traditional riflemen-coy´s, (f.e. in Austria and Germany), today you can find such overworked bayonets.

Such items of course are not pre 1945 !

As far as I am aware there was a trend postwar in the US for these items to be replated in chrome because they looked nicer when displayed.

Quote by Bochmann View Post
    As far as I am aware there was a trend postwar in the US for these items to be replated in chrome because they looked nicer when displayed.
    There was a piece recently discussed here- another bayo if memory serves me- which was also post-capitulation, GI plated. It would be interesting to study this pratice and compile some loose data regarding the practice of plating war trophies. Perhaps my friends across the pond can answer this question: Was this a practice generally limited to American GIs, or have you guyes ever vet-aquired items in the UK, Australia, NZ, etc., found to also have been plated? Of course this presupposes these pieces were direct vet acquired and have never been in a collection nor sold from one collector to another as the chain of evidence would be broken. This then leads to another general question: If in the UK for example, direct vet aquired pieces were also found to be plated, would we then assume this practice was simply a popular practice after the war which transcended both cultures and continents? Or could we infer some "liberated" pieces were also being plated in Germany, after the official German capitulation, by hungry German citizens (or nicotine withrawing German citizens for that matter) who were trying to earn a buck by providing various services to Allied forces (both active battle vets as well as those who served in the Army of occupation) including the plating of "liberated" war trophies? We all know many non-fighting GIs who served in Germany only during the occupation came home with neat "trophies" which were then eventually circulated into the collecting world. Cigs, the newly created occupation currency and food were worth gold during those lean times in '45 and early '46. Alot was available to an Allied soldier if one were inclined.

That said, I would think it's doubtful it happened "in country" seeing most industrial supplies were depleted in Germany by wars end.

T

ww2fotos
    ?

I bought a nice, Chrome plated Luger from Fred Davis's (I think that was his name!) Gun Shop in Falls Church, Va. for $35.00 in 1959! And it was a sweet shooter! I wish I still had it! My point is there wasn't a premium back then for Chrome plated stuff. I think I paid $45.00 for a nice blued Luger from Fred, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast