Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Help with Dress Bayonet ID

Article about: Good day gents went to a antique and collectibles show today and purchased this nice dress bayonet scabbard and frog there are no numbers anywere that I have checked the blade is maker marke

Default Re: Help with Dress Bayonet ID

These did not go on anything just for looks only.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

The felt came in different colors for the different branch of service you were in . I have one in green and one in red . Gary

The coloured felt inserts are not waffenfarbe related as such, but were arm of service related in a much broader way:

So most Heer bayonets will be found with Red or Green:

Armed forces in General = Red
    Jager Formations = Green

Luftwaffe bayonets :

Aviation troops = Golden Yellow
    Aviation supervisory troops = Green
    Aviation Comms troops = Brown
    Flak formations = Red

Hope this helps?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Very much so thank you Adrian the one thing that still strikes me as a little odd is the bayonet frog would seem to large for the scabbard were there not smaller ones available for the nco/officer version of this bayonet.

Regards Mark K

The shiney "patent" leather frog is the correct style for this bayonet.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Thanks Adrian I had spent some time looking around last night and could not fInd a smaller variation any were I searched.

Regards Mark K

Always possible it was placed there from another one, but the basic style is correct, so I would not worry.

Cheers, Ade.

?

What a fantastic blade , i love it
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Thanks Al it is over all a nice blade there is a small amount of scuffing near the tip were it must be rubbing on the inside of the scabbard I will be displaying the bayonet along side of the scabbard as I do not want to chance damaging the finish on the blade .

Regards Mark K

Quote by Eric Zentner View Post
    The short bayo is for NCO and Officer's the long is for enlisted personnel, private purchase item. ...............
    Eric, I have a question about the above statement. Is it based on what you’ve heard from other collectors, or a book? Becaue other books and especially period catalogs, indicate that dress bayonets were intended for enlisted men which of course includes junior NCO’s. With officers and senior grade NCO’s authorized swords. As were the enlisted ranks of the mounted troops - but with a plain smaller size dress copy of the issue type cavalry sword for off duty wear. Best Regards, FP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12