Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Identify Frog species

Article about: Here's a brown bayonet frog I have, I'd be interested in comments. It came with a S84/98 bayonet, but is it really for a S98/05 or even a Police sidearm? Nicely maker marked, "VEREIN. L

Default Identify Frog species

Here's a brown bayonet frog I have, I'd be interested in comments. It came with a S84/98 bayonet, but is it really for a S98/05 or even a Police sidearm?
    Nicely maker marked, "VEREIN. LUDERW.FBK G.m.b.H EUGENHUBER MUNCHEN 1928", so Weimar period, very fine quality leather, fine stitches suggest a "dress frog". It has a slot cut into the right side perhaps for a troddel. Luftwaffe or Police?

Identify Frog speciesIdentify Frog speciesIdentify Frog speciesIdentify Frog speciesIdentify Frog speciesIdentify Frog species

The last two photos are next to a S84/98 frog made by KVZ in 1943. Notice the brown frog could hold a wider scabbard.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Identify Frog species
    P
    Many

Looks more like a 1898/05 frog. Were they still producing these in the 20's?

They made a batch of the S.98/05 frogs in the early 1940's, and there are pictures of the bayonet being carried relatively early in the war. Conversely, the Weimar era Army was having the S.84/98 manufactured before 1928. And I have no idea why there are two slots in the frog pouch front, and one in the backstrap. Best Regards, Fred

"They made a batch of the S.98/05 frogs in the early 1940's, and there are pictures of the bayonet being carried relatively early in the war."

Thank you Fred, I never knew that.

I have posted this Bundesarchiv photo elsewhere - it shows the S98/05 bayonet in use in WW2. The photo is dated 1943 and was taken in Marseilles.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identify Frog species  

Quote by Richie B View Post
    I have posted this Bundesarchiv photo elsewhere - it shows the S98/05 bayonet in use in WW2. The photo is dated 1943 and was taken in Marseilles.

Hello,
    The photo has been taken in "le quartier du Vieux-Port" in Marseille.....without a s at the end...
    Photo was taken just before the all neighborhood was destroyed by an engineers unit
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

The brown frog of this type or other produced types...some have been used for the SA Feldhernhalle for the use of the Standard SA em.

The construction would accommodate the SA scabbard carrying ring. This one I seen I can not explain it but would make sense IMO for the ring to rest inside the frog and fitted into the little slot seen on the back of the frog.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

That's a very interesting idea Larry.

To add some clarification the S.98/05 frogs will normally have an inverted "V" line of centerline stitching versus a single straight line. Also the SA frogs besides a notch in the pouch will have also have a brown type finish that is somewhat comparable to some German Police frogs for service (S.84/98) bayonets. Best Regards, Fred

PS: Besides the TR era, a lot of S.98/05 bayonets were reissued during the Weimar era.

?

Already described by SW or other member on other forum, probably a police S98/05 Weimar frog with special notches for additional tool there. b.r.Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast