Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting K98 Bayonet.

Article about: Just thought id show this bayonet i have in my collection. It was brought back from Elst near the German border in Belgium in WW2 by my grandfather who was with the Worcestershire Regiment.

Default Interesting K98 Bayonet.

Just thought id show this bayonet i have in my collection. It was brought back from Elst near the German border in Belgium in WW2 by my grandfather who was with the Worcestershire Regiment. He found this actual bayonet still on the end of a German rifle and only took it because it had a Swastika badge on the one right hand grip. Shortly afterwards my grandfather William Conway was given orders to take a group of war reporters up to the battlefront at Elst which he did and in the process his vehicle was spotted by German gunners who began to fire on his vehicle. The vehicle was struck and exploded killing everyone but my grandfather who as a result of his injuries had to have both legs amputated at the knees. This bayonet is stamped "43 asw" for E.F Horster, Solingen Germany made in 1943 and "6797" serial number. There are also two Waffenamt stampings "waA519"-"waA519". The Swastika is actually an original Nazi DAF (Labour Front) badge set into the right hand grip and was obviously added by its owner as they were not issued like thisAttachment 207850Attachment 207851Attachment 207852Attachment 207857Attachment 207868. I have since bought a scabbard for it as there was no original scabbard with it as it was as found. This came back in a box with grandads possessions after he was sent back to the UK but he was seriously ill for some time afterwards. Upon recovery and the end of the war he wanted little to do with such things, even spurned his medals saying " why do i need medals when ive got these" and he would point to his stumps! Saying that he never held grudges against the Germans or stopped living his life to the full and was given tin legs which he taught himself to walk on again. He lived in Stratford upon Avon until his death in 1976. Interesting souvenir from a remarkable man. Regards to all, Tim Heath.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting K98 Bayonet.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Interesting K98 Bayonet.

neat bayonet and obviously not one of the many juiced-up so often seen on the net,,,thanks for posting...

Quote by militarymania View Post
    neat bayonet and obviously not one of the many juiced-up so often seen on the net,,,thanks for posting...
    Thanks for that as ive had it a long time and its more sentimental than anything because of its link with my Grandfather and the only thing that came back with his things after he was wounded at Elst. Regards, Tim.

Hi Tim, thanks for sharing your Grandad's story.

Clearly non regulation: Without knowing where this came from, like Robert said, it would be very easy to dismiss this as post war altered.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Tim, thanks for sharing your Grandad's story.

Clearly non regulation: Without knowing where this came from, like Robert said, it would be very easy to dismiss this as post war altered.

Cheers, Ade.
    Cheers Ade and i do recall grandad saying he only noticed this bayonet because of the silver metal swastika that it had on the grip. He guessed it was some form of badge or button that the original owner had impressed into the grip. Its interesting as soldiers did sometimes add these embellishments but as you say more were done post war in an attempt to trump up the prices which is great shame. Grandad also said the fighting in and around Elst was particularly fierce and the Germans heavily shelled anything that moved and it was a very nasty experience for all who were there. Cheers again Ade and regards, Tim.

Hi Tim, I know Elst fairly well and have been there a few times. Now a typical neat Dutch town. A nice place to visit today.

Cheers, Ade.

The emblem may have been added when the grips were changed out. Mid range double letter block bayonets made in 1943 by Hörster had wood grips. By the “zz” block they were red Bakelite. With the bayonet possibly being a “ww” block. Which puts it somewhere in between. Having what looks like in the images to me, the earlier black Bakelite type of grips. FP
    Attached Images Attached Images Interesting K98 Bayonet.