Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

K98 Bayonet

Article about: Need help on this bayonet. I believe it is a K98 dated 1940, The Frog is dated ,41 and the scabbard is dated '42. Serial numbers do not match on the bayonet and Scabbard. So I think it is a

Que
    ?

Default K98 Bayonet

Need help on this bayonet. I believe it is a K98 dated 1940, The Frog is dated ,41 and the scabbard is dated '42. Serial numbers do not match on the bayonet and Scabbard. So I think it is a mixed bag of nuts that has been pieced together. The number on the bayonet itself do match. I think all the pieces look legit based on all the searching I have done. I am concerned as to whether the scabbard is original or reproduction since it is stamped with an SS symbol. This was purchased in England or Germany some time between 1974 and 1984. (Not that that help with the Identification.) Bonus pic at the end. Found that with metal detector in the Hurtgen Forrest back in the early 80s.
    Would appreciate any info you may have.

Thanks, Que

K98 BayonetK98 BayonetK98 BayonetK98 BayonetK98 BayonetK98 BayonetK98 BayonetK98 BayonetK98 BayonetK98 BayonetK98 BayonetK98 BayonetK98 BayonetK98 BayonetK98 BayonetK98 BayonetK98 BayonetK98 BayonetK98 Bayonet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 Bayonet
    P
    Many

Que
    ?

Sorry, didnt see the the Sub forums. Can Someone move this post to the K98 Bayonet sub forum?

Hi Que welcome to the forum..yes I will move yourr thread to the K98 forum..for better review. The Bayonet appears to be as you say a mixed bag..and reworked. The Bayo Gents will give you exact information what you have.

The metal detector find is very cool. Nice ground find Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

SRB
    ?

nice...... i have same maker but with S/code.i like he have good and clean stamped numbers and letters.
    bayonet from Hurtgen Forrest is ww1 era

Hello,

the stamps on the frog looks not realy orginal to me... the frog is original... but IMO the stamps are made after 1945

Regards

Both the bayonet and frog look to be period manufacture, not caring for the markings myself, regrettably I'm in agreement with the above. With from what can be seen with the bayonet also in agreement with the earlier statement that it's a rework, most likely PW from someplace IMO other than Germany. Best Regards, Fred

Que
    ?

anyone have any pics of what the original stamps for an SS frog would look like. Just wondering have never seen any.

yes i Have...

you are searching for informations about the frog:

original frog, added with a strap. The strap bears a fake SS-stamp.

IMO not a good one

poorly a faked original frog.

the frog itself is in an very used condition. one rivet is missing... replaced by an hollow rivet in Romania or Bulgaria after 1945.

Que
    ?

I am asking to photos of real SS stamping. I don't care about the one I own. I just want to see what real ones look like. If you have some, please post them Sleepwalker.

Hard part about this hobby with some of these artifacts...is that there is not enough period info that survived the war to prove if there were SS stamped frogs, Until that happens...sadly those items that are real will never share in the same glorious light of authentic. The construction and materials may be the same..but not enough to prove it so.

Another scary thing, which our Bayo collectors will attest to the fact..is that depending upon the care the frog is stored in..it is quite easy to use a copied leather punch and create something it is not. A sharp eye will see the differences between how old and new leather react..when punched with the die stamp.

IMO I have to agree with sleep walker as where the SS stamp is placed is on a crucial point where the strap wraps around the top of the bayo..which would creat some type of bent stress to the leather after 80 yrs..and crack it because of the stamp that exists on that spot. I dont see that happening at all with the SS stamp..and I see more wear on the "VA41 " stamping.

Is this something it is not? Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast