Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

K98 bayonet

Article about: Just picked up this Matching K98 Bayonet. Seems to be in really good shape. Carl Eickhorn maker marked and 38 on the spine. The frog is marked but is too worn to tell what it says. Thanks fo

?

Default K98 bayonet

Just picked up this Matching K98 Bayonet. Seems to be in really good shape. Carl Eickhorn maker marked and 38 on the spine. The frog is marked but is too worn to tell what it says. Thanks for taking the time to look at this thread.

K98 bayonet
    K98 bayonet K98 bayonet
    K98 bayonet
    K98 bayonet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 bayonet
    P
    Many

?

Very nice one....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Scabbard looks in exceptional condition, very nice piece.

Very nice one. It may have been re-blued post war, as Blackcat points out the scabbard is unworn which is unusual where a bayonet has been attached to a belt and knocked around in combat. Looks like the screw is missing too. But I like to have pristine examples as well as battered combat ones. The quality of the finish with these pre-1940 bayonets is superb, and Eickhorn was one of the best.

CBH
    ?

I'd check the scabbard to see if it still has screws or does it have rivets, the rivets would show post-war rework, re-blueing etc.

While some bayonets are clearly postwar refinished, sometimes it could be an in-hand judgment call on when it was done. That's because in the early period the Germans themselves did do some overhauls including refinishing - that is also not uncommon with some firearms. And some especially early period reworks performed to a very high level standard, or not - with other factors coming into play, and even (seen very rarely) the occasional period rework marking. Best Regards, Fred

?

The scabbard has 1 screw, no rivets. It doesn't look to have been worn much. Is it possible it's just in good shape?

CBH
    ?

The lack of rivets would indicate no post-war rework, just a nice period survivor.

Not in-hand, where I personally might have some reservations is with the scabbard with my sense from the images being that it might be painted? Not a forgone conclusion, a good close look in some sunlight being the next step for myself if I had a specific interest in it as an acquisition. Best Regards, Fred

We all agree; "it's beautiful" but it could still be a post war re-blue. The East German DDR refurbishment gave a beautiful finish and many of these bayonets appear to have had little or no useage. I had one at one point, it also had that very deep blued finish. They used an alluminium rivet in the side of the scabbard that I think could be removed if someone had the mind to do it, and then fit an original screw. Not saying that happened here, just a possibility.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast