Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

K98 bayonet

Article about: k98 bayonet not in great condition.

Default K98 bayonet

k98 bayonet not in great condition.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 bayonet   K98 bayonet  

K98 bayonet   K98 bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 bayonet
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

A bit salty for sure but no doubt an original late war example.

Maybe the guys could give advice to clean it up to preserve it. But I would leave it as is.

Is the scabbard matching #'s to the blade? From what little I can see, it is not.

Maker appears to be "ffc" which is F. Herder and Son. Dated 1944. with number 3671 (and I think a "b" code)

Here is an example of one

http://k98.free.fr/44ffc-9a.html
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi thanks for the reply

Yeah scabbard number looks like 2049 but it's been together a long time as my grandfather picked it up just after the war.

MAP
    ?

No doubt. Not uncommon for scabbards and blades to be swapped
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

A fine 'been there' bayonet!
    When it comes to combat equipment, I prefer well worn items to ones that are in mint or near mint condition. They may not be as visually appealing, but they hold history in spades. A rusty bayonet with chips and dents in the grips will have seen honest combat use, and that makes it far more valuable historically.
    Just my opinion, but one I am certain is widely shared in collectors circles.

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    A fine 'been there' bayonet!
    When it comes to combat equipment, I prefer well worn items to ones that are in mint or near mint condition. They may not be as visually appealing, but they hold history in spades. A rusty bayonet with chips and dents in the grips will have seen honest combat use, and that makes it far more valuable historically.
    Just my opinion, but one I am certain is widely shared in collectors circles.

B.B.
    A rusty item indicates neglect and not one I would add to my collection if I were looking to add one, chips and dents I can live with.
    JMHO.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Yes, it's not one I would buy, but if my grandfather had owned it it's a different thing. There's a family connection, even memories, that are associated with it and we treasure it for that reason rather than it's appearance.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Yes, it's not one I would buy, but if my grandfather had owned it it's a different thing. There's a family connection, even memories, that are associated with it and we treasure it for that reason rather than it's appearance.
    I agree completely.
    My comment was directed at BB's comment about a rusty bayonet being more valuable historically.
    Also, why I posted "if I were looking to add one"
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Yes it looks like untouched 44ffc, should be coated in oil and proof to gently clean it, b.r.Andy