Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

K98 Bayonet with all kinds of numbers

Article about: Hi there, I just got this bayonet and there are several different numbers involved. I'm just wondering if someone could offer some explanation On the blade - cof44 on one side, 2428 "l&

?

Default K98 Bayonet with all kinds of numbers

Hi there, I just got this bayonet and there are several different numbers involved.

I'm just wondering if someone could offer some explanation

On the blade - cof44 on one side, 2428 "l" on the other side.
    On/In the handle - 6996 is stamped on the release button AND underneath the grips on the tang.
    On the scabbard - 115 stamped near the opening, but I don't know how to get the scabbard out of the frog so I can't check for more markings.
    On the Frog - u. Otto Gehrckens 1942.

There are also 2 stamps of the eagle and underneath says WaA519.

I'm thinking it aquired a new blade after too much killing was done with the original...

Any Ideas?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 Bayonet with all kinds of numbers
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: K98 Bayonet with all kinds of numbers

Hi , cof is the code for Carl Eickhorn , a very well known maker and 44 is for the year of manufacture , 2428 L is the blades serial no. This no. would be duplicated on the scabbard if it was original to the blade ( and is what collectors like to see ) but the one shown looks to be mismatched , the WaA559 stamping is a Waffenampt and these are quality control marks , hope this helps a little ,
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

You should good oil the bayonet to prevent get more rust on it, it should be not touched with hands or after it should be cleaned with oil, the scabbard is pre 1940 so not ok on this one, but is normal, its with high possibility brought with the frog from other soldier by capturing, the bayonets were mainly brought to one side and the scabbards with frogs when soldiers removed the belts, so from this time are the mainly missmatches. What for acceptance is on ball finial? The frog should be cleaned by lanolin probably but when not removing is better as damage it.

?

The finial is too worn to see any markings... But thanks for the info so far!