Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

K98 Bayonet by F.Herdera & Son.

Article about: Picked up this German WW2 K98 recently as part of an exchange deal. The bayonet is by F.Herdera & Son and dated 1940-Serial number on blade and scabbard matching 9682. Condition is not b

Default K98 Bayonet by F.Herdera & Son.

Picked up this German WW2 K98 recently as part of an exchange deal. The bayonet is by F.Herdera & Son and dated 1940-Serial number on blade and scabbard matching 9682. Condition is not brilliant but I like these well used examples. What sort of prices do these F.Herdera & Son examples fetch these days just out of curiosity??? Thanks Tim.Attachment 901788Attachment 901787Attachment 901786Attachment 901785Attachment 901784Attachment 901788Attachment 901787Attachment 901786Attachment 901785Attachment 901784

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 Bayonet by F.Herdera & Son.
    P
    Many

Never even heard of them, so probably not among the most common. Looks like condition of the pommel and scabbard are that sort of textured gray that you see after the blue is long gone? Sort of a natural parkerizing ;-)

Looks like it's still an early high polish blade?

Value is usually pretty good on a matched set, but of course depends on condition and rarity, as far as bayonet collectors are concerned anyway.

?

It is not F.Herdera & Son it stands for Fredrich Herder Abr Sohn. The company still exist today in Solingen.

Not bad looking but It is a matching set.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Touché Phil man, it's Herder! And funny that I missed it, I just got into that brand, they made some very cool pocket knives (I posted one I saw at antique store a while back) but I haven't been able to nail down if they were pre 1945 or not.

One thing I did find out about Herder was very cool (and did they make daggers?) is that, are you ready for this, the oldest known trademark in Germany?

Here is the company profile, check it out;

Friedr. Herder Abr. Sohn GmbH - Porträt

Starts in 1623! And I can't find the link right now but if I remember right Herder holds the distinction of have the earliest trademark known in Germany. That is a pretty big deal.

Here's a razor of theirs I picked while browsing for some of their stuff. It was obviously a French import, and again, hard to nail the date but it could be from the early 1900's. I've been collecting knives for a long time and I can tell you the quality of their stuff is pretty special.

I meant to bring this up with Larry a while back after posting the pocket knife but forgot about it.

K98 Bayonet by F.Herdera & Son.

?

I gave a Rich A. Herder bayonet to a buddy of mine as a gift and have always wonder about the connection he had with Fredrich Herder? I thought that they were related but never knew exactly how.
    Semper Fi Mac
    Phil

?

Looks like the blade was sharpened, otherway it could be ok. b.r.Andy

Agree fairly descent Herder and sons (ffc) code after 1940 s84/98 matching bayonet matching is getting harder to find. timothy