Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

K98 Bayonet Found

Article about: Ok folks, so I was cleaning out my attic, and I came across my great uncles old stuff from WWII. I found a few articles and I am goign to post them to get everyones opinion. This is a bayone

hypo21
    ?

Default K98 Bayonet Found

Ok folks, so I was cleaning out my attic, and I came across my great uncles old stuff from WWII. I found a few articles and I am goign to post them to get everyones opinion.

This is a bayonet that looks to be made by E.U.F. Horster. Now I have looked around a bit on line but still do not know much about these. in the pictures you can see the serial numbers and all the markings I could find. Now I have not seen a bayonet online yet with a clear handle like this, but have seen plenty of the bayonets.
    If someone could, please give me any info you can, and if possible a rough estimate of what soemthing like this would go for. I am not sure if I am goign to part with them or not at this point.

Thanks everyone in advance. I will be posting more on other forums as well.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 Bayonet Found   K98 Bayonet Found  

K98 Bayonet Found   K98 Bayonet Found  

K98 Bayonet Found  

2. # ADS

hypo21
    ?

Default Re: K98 Bayonet Found

the rest of the images.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 Bayonet Found   K98 Bayonet Found  

K98 Bayonet Found   K98 Bayonet Found  

K98 Bayonet Found  

Hi, the grips have been replaced by a GI, quite possibly your Great Uncle.

This was a very popular practice in 1945/1946. Use of clear plexiglass was very fashionable. Pistols sometimes got grips replaced with this material. I have even seen photos placed underneath the plastic.

This GI mod will devalue the bayonet to the purist, but I find it interesting and historical.

The scabbard and bayonet are mis-matched as the numbers are not the same.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi, the grips have been replaced by a GI, quite possibly your Great Uncle.

This was a very popular practice in 1945/1946. Use of clear plexiglass was very fashionable. Pistols sometimes got grips replaced with this material. I have even seen photos placed underneath the plastic.
    Was there any practical reason for replacing the grips? It just seems a little odd

Thanks

Danny

hypo21
    ?

I heard it was the "cool Thing to Do" back then. After readin this, i realized there was also a pocket knife I found that also had plastic grips, but he put a 5th Armor division symbol under it.

Hi Danny, no, nothing practical at all. This was a "trench art" thing. We have to remember that plastic was still a new product at the time and was very fashionable.

Cheers, Ade.

Pretty unique ! One of those "one of a kind" things............
    Leave it as is - a great souvenir.

It looks as if the bayonet itself was polished bright.

?

Only to inform You the bayonet had a flashuard which remains are still visible on topview, the original grips were black plastic. the scabbard was missmatched and was produced by Elite Diamant, under code S/185 in 1935. best regards,Andy