Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

K98 bayonet help

Article about: Hello I am new to collecting bayonets and have a few questions on these two. I will post pictures later when I get a chance. The first one looks to be legit and I bought it from a reputable

Default K98 bayonet help Pictures added

K98 bayonet helpK98 bayonet helpK98 bayonet helpK98 bayonet helpK98 bayonet helpK98 bayonet helpK98 bayonet helpK98 bayonet helpK98 bayonet helpK98 bayonet helpK98 bayonet helpK98 bayonet helpK98 bayonet helpK98 bayonet helpK98 bayonet helpK98 bayonet helpK98 bayonet helpK98 bayonet helpK98 bayonet helpHello

I am new to collecting bayonets and have a few questions on these two. I will post pictures later when I get a chance.

The first one looks to be legit and I bought it from a reputable dealer. The scabbard has nothing on it but the blade has s/173 and 4 numbers on the other side. It also has a 36 on the spine of the blade. The tang and guard plate have different numbers and different from the blade as well. The Handle grips match the tang. My question is it normal to have so many different numbers?

The second one I think is fake it has 4 X out numbers on the scabbard ant the 4 new numbers. The other side of the scabbard has Epack&s. The blade has 4 numbers on one side and 41agv on the other. The inside is what confuses me. It has some markings on the handle grìps that I have never seen and no numbers anywhere under the handle. It just has a M on one side and a E on the other any ideas on this.

Thanks
    Thomas
    Last edited by Thomas Mason; 08-09-2014 at 06:41 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 bayonet help
    P
    Many

?

The markings are what make bayonet collecting so interesting. They can tell the story of the bayonets history, where its' been, who used it and when. Like Larry said, pictures speak a thousand words! From what you describe, the 1st one may have been reissued by another country after WWII. The second could be an arsenal rework, but only pictures will tell the whole story, I look forward to seeing them!

Jim

I have added the picture. I look forward to want you guys have to say. Also if anyone knows about the frog that would be great.

Thanks
    Thomas

To me the first one looks like a early S code a lot of which are unidentified the 36 on spine year of manf it is in a Turkish reworked scabbard note the round frog button stud. Second one as Jim says scabbard could be arsenal or other country rework second one frog appears to be a early so called calvary model with hilt fastening strap this type of frog was issued to all units that one looks like it is marked to a Infantry Regiment second one made by AGV Berg & CO 1941. Both IMO are genuine WW2 s84/98. timothy

?

I agree, the 1st bayo has a Turkish scabbard paired with it. It looks like the second one has a number stamped on the pommel, can you get a picture of that. Also, for better picture quality, you can try and take pictures in a strong natural light with the flash turned off. The flash tends to wash out fine details making names and numbers hard to read.

The S/173 codes is for Alexander Coppel. All the S/codes have been identified a few years ago and a list can be found here:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/k98-b...ii-era-398814/

Jim

Thanks Jim I will take those pics. Also you are right there is a small 17 stamped.

Quote by Jim P View Post
    I agree, the 1st bayo has a Turkish scabbard paired with it. It looks like the second one has a number stamped on the pommel, can you get a picture of that. Also, for better picture quality, you can try and take pictures in a strong natural light with the flash turned off. The flash tends to wash out fine details making names and numbers hard to read.

The S/173 codes is for Alexander Coppel. All the S/codes have been identified a few years ago and a list can be found here:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/k98-b...ii-era-398814/

Jim
    Thanks for the link there Jim I just identified one that wasn't in Wheeler's book looks like he and I are behind times. timothy

?

Nice unit marked frog, but with new rivets added in place where is the number of Regt.

I would suggest Eastern Europe (quite possibly Yugoslavian) post-war modified frog. My thoughts only .....