Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

K98 Bayonet i.d.

Article about: Hello, This is not my area of interest, but finally I want to find out what I have... I suppose this is a WW2 K98 bayonet marked Berg& Co. Also I found a numbers/digits. Please find atta

Default K98 Bayonet i.d.

Hello,

This is not my area of interest, but finally I want to find out what I have... I suppose this is a WW2 K98 bayonet marked Berg& Co. Also I found a numbers/digits. Please find attached photos.
    I couldn`t find any dates, I found before on this forum great information that it should be 2 digit date at the back of the blade, near the crossguard (Berg& Co) Unfortunately no visible date on my bayonet.
    Is there any chance to find out if this is a early, mid, or late war, and if this is a common example? I will greatly appreciate any information. Thank you

Kind Regards
    Alex
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 Bayonet i.d.   K98 Bayonet i.d.  

K98 Bayonet i.d.   K98 Bayonet i.d.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 Bayonet i.d.
    P
    Many

Alex, The relic condition makes it hard to say for sure, but if I had to provide my sense of what is there it's that the German S. 84/98 bayonet is a rework (later style grips) of a S. 178K (Gebr. Heller made in 1934 with a "K" date). Paired with a Berg scabbard circa 1939 or later judging from the type of frog stud. Best Regards, Fred

PS: It also appears that the nuts and bolts holding the grips on look nothing like the original ones they used, and the complete or top of the flashguard is missing.
    Last edited by Frogprince; 01-22-2017 at 11:38 AM. Reason: typo correction

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    Alex, The relic condition makes it hard to say for sure, but if I had to provide my sense of what is there it's that the German S. 84/98 bayonet is a rework (later style grips) of a S. 178K (Gebr. Heller made in 1934 with a "K" date). Paired with a Berg scabbard circa 1939 or later judging from the type of frog stud. Best Regards, Fred

PS: It also appears that the nuts and bolts holding the grips on look nothing like the original ones they used, and the complete or top of the flashguard is missing.
    Fred, Thank you kindly! Impressive knowledge.

Kind Regards
    Alex