Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

K98 Bayonet Identification Help

Article about: Hey guys, I just received a K98 Bayonet yesterday, and i wanted to see the history behind it. On the front of the blade, there is the Carl Eickhorn Squirrel. When you push the button on the

Default K98 Bayonet Identification Help

K98 Bayonet Identification HelpK98 Bayonet Identification HelpK98 Bayonet Identification HelpK98 Bayonet Identification HelpK98 Bayonet Identification HelpHey guys, I just received a K98 Bayonet yesterday, and i wanted to see the history behind it. On the front of the blade, there is the Carl Eickhorn Squirrel. When you push the button on the side, the piece that comes up has the numbers 4837. On the sheath, it has the numbers 555, and what looks like C and then E. Any help would be great. Thank you!
    Last edited by Jimmeelegs; 06-21-2019 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Grammar

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 Bayonet Identification Help
    P
    Many

You have a dress bayonet. I would assume the grip panels have been replaced as I have not seen these before but others with more experience will be able to comment further. I have not seen the numbers on the side of the bayonet catch either.
    John

?

As John mentioned, this is a dress bayonet (KS98 not K98) that has had its grips replaced. The numbers on the press button aren't that unusual, I think they were just part numbers or assembly numbers.

Dress bayonet scabbards aren't usually marked, but sometimes there are numbers on the throat or the frog stud. Can you post a pic of the numbers and letters on it?

Everything is correct except the alloy grips which probably were fitted post war.

Quote by sb98 View Post
    As John mentioned, this is a dress bayonet (KS98 not K98) that has had its grips replaced. The numbers on the press button aren't that unusual, I think they were just part numbers or assembly numbers.

Dress bayonet scabbards aren't usually marked, but sometimes there are numbers on the throat or the frog stud. Can you post a pic of the numbers and letters on it?
    My Camera wont pick up any of the numbers, as they are two small. Anything else??

In todays technology of cameras ..if you have a macro setting ..surely it will see the numbers...or the use of a decent cell phone ..you could enlarge the image and then take the photo...or if your using a Brownie box camera from the 1900s ....then it is acceptable there is no macro option.

At least try using the 2 methods I have posted ...you should get some kind of result..and let the sharp eyes of these members here who are helping you identify those numbers.

Please try

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you! Ill get to posting those in a bit

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Everything is correct except the alloy grips which probably were fitted post war.
    Interested to hear whether members would consider replacing these alu grips with original correct wartime ones?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Interested to hear whether members would consider replacing these alu grips with original correct wartime ones?
    I would if the condition was better and I had a set of grips. I would not on this example but that is just me.
    John

Default Sheath Picture

I finally got a good picture of the numbers on the Sheath. Here it is

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast