Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

K98 Bayonet - oily?

Article about: I just received this as a gift, and noticed the blade is very oily to the point of me smudging it when it was touched. I also included pictures of the inside of the scabbard. Is there anythi

Default K98 Bayonet - oily?

I just received this as a gift, and noticed the blade is very oily to the point of me smudging it when it was touched. I also included pictures of the inside of the scabbard. Is there anything I should do/be worried about in further preserving this item?

Edit: After doing some research, I think it might be cosmoline coating everything. Would it be fine to just leave it as-is?

Thanks,
    John

K98 Bayonet - oily? K98 Bayonet - oily? K98 Bayonet - oily? K98 Bayonet - oily?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 Bayonet - oily?
    P
    Many

Quite often, you'll find the old bayonets and such with this kind of greasy protectant on them from decades ago. Whether it's Cosmoline or another oily grease, the armories themseleves applied it to keep them from rusting. I would not remove it, myself.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

CBH
    ?

As long as there isn't any sand or grit in the grease , it shouldn't be a problem . It depends on if you will be showing it often and people will get greasy fingers ( I know you shouldn't touch the blade ) then you might want to clean and re-oil it . It's up to you .

Thanks for the replies, guys! I think I will be leaving it as it is for now.