Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

K98 Bayonet Question

Article about: Hello Friends, I have come across a bayonet for sale for a K98 rifle. I am sorry but I do not have any pictures. But, I do have a lot of information about the piece and would be pleased if s

Default K98 Bayonet Question

Hello Friends,

I have come across a bayonet for sale for a K98 rifle. I am sorry but I do not have any pictures. But, I do have a lot of information about the piece and would be pleased if some of you would respond.

* matching numbers: "0328" "Z" underneath serial number on both the blade and scabbard.

* "42 COF" on both the blade and Scabbard

* 1942 stamped on Frog with a box and lettering in it.

* wood handles

* unsharpened

* ordinance marks on butt of handle and on scabbard ball tip

No rust

What can you tell me about this? Or where can I look for information?

I am trying to get some pictures for you.

Thanks,

William

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 Bayonet Question
    P
    Many

Just got these pictures and hope more are coming.

Why does this have wooden handles instead of bakelite?

Does anyone have an idea of what is written in the box above the 1942 stamp on back of frog? Maybe a better picture?

Any ideas when the frog may have been repaired?

Thanks,

William

K98 Bayonet QuestionK98 Bayonet QuestionK98 Bayonet QuestionK98 Bayonet QuestionK98 Bayonet Question

Looks ok to me.

?

William,
    From my experience with these they(MFG'S) went from wood to bakelite to wood during WW2 . Weather it be a shortage of material to make Bakelite issue,then add in screws to rivets and that could be answered by the experts. But just my thought on this the changes. I have one of the ASW 43 marked blades with a 44 ASW marked scabbard. (Matching Serial #'s) and further research showed me that they also went from the Brown bakelite(Mine) to the wood handles during this transition.
    It just adds to the collectors " Got To Get" List.
    I'm sure one of the serious Bayo collectors will chime in..

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 04-22-2016 at 05:27 PM.

My thanks to Phil & Greatwhite for your responses.

Any thoughts on the frog repair? Does it subtract greatly from value or add a little mystique?

Part of its history, who knows when and why it was done, to me it adds more, others like things untouched i prefer the been there done it look, although i like my women untouched which are also rare nowadays.

Thanks greatwhite.

William

Early 1942 Eickhorns (cof) had the same higher polish and black Bakelite grips as the 1941 examples. That changed, with the wood grips still being used until later in 1944 when Eickhorn changed to the red/orange Bakelite type. Best Regards, Fred

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    Early 1942 Eickhorns (cof) had the same higher polish and black Bakelite grips as the 1941 examples. That changed, with the wood grips still being used until later in 1944 when Eickhorn changed to the red/orange Bakelite type. Best Regards, Fred
    Thanks Fred, I will look at some examples. What do you think of the item I have posted?

William

William, From what I seem to be seeing in the images there are some fairly noticeable condition issues that could make it difficult in the future if you decided to upgrade (or sell/trade) the bayonet, which also applies to the frog. Understanding that everyone has their own standards, but that is the advice I would give to a local collector with a comparable bayonet/frog if I was asked (unless it was correspondingly priced). Best Regards, Fred

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast