Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

K98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The Story

Article about: Several weeks ago I posted some questions and pictures of a K98 bayonet I was looking at. I had plans to go see it last weekend and it all fell through. Last night I got to go to see the bay

Default K98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The Story

Several weeks ago I posted some questions and pictures of a K98 bayonet I was looking at. I had plans to go see it last weekend and it all fell through. Last night I got to go to see the bayonet and I bought it. It was not what I was hoping it would be. I know now why I could not get pictures of it, it is in rough shape. The pommel is rusted with the latch/release frozen. The wooden grips are very black in color. The one grip looks almost burned with its surface being rough & some wood gone, but it does not smell of smoke. The frog is in rough shape also, very dry, stiff, & some of it gone. Two of the rivets have pulled through and someone at some time has tried to fix it with wire but that has even pulled through. At this point I think the frog is too dry to try to remove from the scabbard. The frog is definitely stamped with "W. Linnert Bielefeld - 1942" but it is small and my camera is not able to take a close up. The scabbard is in very good condition, no dents but has been painted at some time blue. It has proof marks on both the pommel and ball end of the scabbard. It is a matching numbers "0328 Z", "42 cof" with an unsharpened blade. The blade has 3 circular marks of discoloration along it on both sides. I am not sure what they are from.

The redeeming factor is that I only paid $80.00 which I couldn't pass up for a matching numbers bayonet with frog.

Please share your comments and questions. I very much enjoy the dialogue. I can send more pictures if you want them just tell me of what.

Thanks,

William

K98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The Story

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The Story
    P
    Many

Pity.... but at least the price didn't hurt much.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Pity.... but at least the price didn't hurt much.
    A piece of history preserved, oh the story it could tell.

SRB
    ?

it is not difficult to bring in better condition - if no like rust just and dive it in vinegar (of course before take off the wooden handle) and that's it. Spot on the blade are standard .... I'm not sure they appear, but they are common.

Quote by SRB View Post
    it is not difficult to bring in better condition - if no like rust just and dive it in vinegar (of course before take off the wooden handle) and that's it. Spot on the blade are standard .... I'm not sure they appear, but they are common.
    I have seen some really nice condition ones but for a lot of money. I am a really small time collector.

Thanks for your response. How do I get the handles off? I tried gently with a screw drive but the screw would not budge. Where can I get a nice, original pair of wood grips?

Thanks,

William

its not a bad bayonet and frog at that price.tlc needed

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    its not a bad bayonet and frog at that price.tlc needed
    That's what I thought Harry. It is well worth the $80. It has a lot of personality. Great blade and scabbard.

Thanks,

William

SRB
    ?

u need for this screws - screw driver spanner and regularK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The Story

WD-40 on that button should free it after
    a few applications.........
    Regards,

Steve.

As the guys say just a little tlc needed and the vinegar does work, nice catch well done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast