Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

K98 bayonet Rich Abr. Herder

Article about: Hello Collectors, Added a new matching K98 bayonet to the collection last week Nick

Default K98 bayonet Rich Abr. Herder

Hello Collectors,

Added a new matching K98 bayonet to the collection last week

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 bayonet Rich Abr. Herder   K98 bayonet Rich Abr. Herder  

K98 bayonet Rich Abr. Herder   K98 bayonet Rich Abr. Herder  

K98 bayonet Rich Abr. Herder  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 bayonet Rich Abr. Herder
    P
    Many

A lovely one. I have a couple of Richard Herder's myself.

Very nice. Have to add one to complement my 98k. Thanks for sharing yours.

Nice find Nick ..matching numbers and good condition.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks guys!

?

Matching bayonets are always ok, but here is probably new blueing realised. br.Andy

I disagree on that one. The bayonet itself is almost in mint condition, outside and inside. Also Rich Abr. Herder is known for its quality and shiny finish. The last photo for comparison is a untouched Rich Abr. Herder barnfind in Holland from my collection, you can see the difference in the blueing and the matching blueing between the Herders.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 bayonet Rich Abr. Herder   K98 bayonet Rich Abr. Herder  

Last edited by Nmilitaria; 01-30-2018 at 11:53 AM.

?

Its certainly Your choice what You think, the first one 41clc was certainly cleaned from rust as visible on scabbard under 41clc, side screw is not origin, and the tone of blueing is too dark, from area of crossguard and scabbard is for me on high degree clear it was probably reblued. When? i couldnt answer. The additional pictures of Herder bayonets, first one was polished so the blueing on scabbard is already gone. Maybe its on the pictures as the first ones are too dark. Is good to made details on non sunny day without flashlight.b.r.Andy

I think the early photos gave the impression of darker blued finish than actually is. If the last photo in post 7 with the two bayonets together is the correct tone, then to my eye, that has not been re-blued. In fact the crossguard and hilt are the expected lighter shade due to service wear. The blade also shows the usual bluing wear spots to suggest some years of service in this state. The scabbard bluing is also a little darker around the frog lug, which is what is normally seen with bayonets that have seen some field service with bluing protection from the leather frog. The scabbard screw is not factory issue, but you find k98 bayonets from time to time without any screw. This one's been replaced, but it could have occurred 10 years ago and is not evidence of a "refurbishment" in my opinion.

?

Dull blue on blade without sign of inner spring on it, the screw on mouth is blackened in same way as overall scabbard so the blueing could be 10years old when screw is replacement, when you look to lower end of scabbard body You will find there was rust under blueing, it would not possible that germans would add a blueing over rusted surface.b.r.Andy