Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

K98 Bayonet Scabbard identification

Article about: Hi, I received my first k98 bayonet in the mail today. I’ve done some research online & think I’ve managed to ID the bayonet itself as a wartime bayonet, manufactured by Jetter und Schee

Default K98 Bayonet Scabbard identification

Hi,

I received my first k98 bayonet in the mail today. I’ve done some research online & think I’ve managed to ID the bayonet itself as a wartime bayonet, manufactured by Jetter und Scheerer in 1939. It also has 4 Waffenamt markings, all with the number 155.

The scabbard is not matching (I knew this beforehand), but I would love to find out more about it nonetheless: Any way to tell when that was made and if it’s also wehrmacht or possibly an export? The only marking I found on the scabbard was the serial: 9577. No maker, year or Waffenamt markings on it. Is it common that scabbards lack markings other than the serial?

Any help would be appreciated!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 Bayonet Scabbard identification   K98 Bayonet Scabbard identification  

K98 Bayonet Scabbard identification   K98 Bayonet Scabbard identification  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 Bayonet Scabbard identification
    P
    Many

From what I've seen of these bayonets, there was sometimes a WaffenAmt marking on the ball point of the scabbard. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Regards, B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    From what I've seen of these bayonets, there was sometimes a WaffenAmt marking on the ball point of the scabbard. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Regards, B.B.
    Checked all over the ball tip too; unfortunately no markings to be found. :-/

Scabbards were also made by subcontracting companies, some supplied military outfitting shops, others may of gone to the armouries of State Authority users of the K98 bayonets. This one was presumably matched to a bayonet as it has a serial number, but it may have been a replacement for a damaged original.
    As for age, one clue is the "foot" or lug that attaches to the bayonet frog. In early scabbards it has 4 lines scored across it. Some time in 1939 they stopped doing the 4 lines, so this must date from late 1939 or later in the war.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Scabbards were also made by subcontracting companies, some supplied military outfitting shops, others may of gone to the armouries of State Authority users of the K98 bayonets. This one was presumably matched to a bayonet as it has a serial number, but it may have been a replacement for a damaged original.
    As for age, one clue is the "foot" or lug that attaches to the bayonet frog. In early scabbards it has 4 lines scored across it. Some time in 1939 they stopped doing the 4 lines, so this must date from late 1939 or later in the war.
    Wow, thanks alot, very interesting information indeed!

?

The S84/98 bayonet looks like lightly sharpened, the serial number on scabbard is applied on wrong side, so probably done by other country or postwar,the scabbard could be replacement.b.r.Andy