Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

K98 bayonet with special frog ?

Article about: That is unusual ! - I like these brown bakelite grip bayos.........!

Default K98 bayonet with special frog ?

I just bought this one on an internet auction.
    I haven't recieved it yet, so sorry about the pics. Better pics will come, when it gets here...

The bayo is a matcing ab (Mundlos) '44, a quite scarce maker, as far as I know, but nothing very special. I just wanted a red handeled, good conditioned, matching for my collection.

The frog is what I think is really speciel. I have never seen any one like it. It is obviously a dress frog. Reichs Arbeits Dienst ??

Can anyone tell me some more about this frog (the stamps) ?

Thanks
    HB
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 bayonet with special frog ?   K98 bayonet with special frog ?  

K98 bayonet with special frog ?   K98 bayonet with special frog ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 bayonet with special frog ?
    P
    Many

Default re: K98 bayonet with special frog ?

Can't tell you about the markings, but recall that brown scabbards were
    used by the Luftwaffe. This is a very nice matching bayonet.
    The blade is mint. I wonder if it's been re-blued.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

Yes you are right about the color, never seen those stamps on a LW frog though...
    We will see about the blade when it gets here. I will post more pics ASAP....

Look forward to seeing them, HB.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

nice matching bayonet. congrats... i concur with Walkwolf. Appears to be Luftwaffe... never seen markings like that.

Nice bayo. But it looks to me the R.A.D and other were punched in at a later time IMO.
    Never seen a RAD marked frog before?
    Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

The bayonet looks to be a nice one from a scarcer maker. And whatever else it might be, the frog does not look like a Luftwaffe service frog, nor is it a brown German Police service frog. FP

Hello,

the frog is damaged by cutting of piece in the front section. IMO the markings are not original... R.A.D. is Reichsarbeitsdienst... K.S.L. is useless.
    Without rivets this is a dress Luftwaffe or Police Frog... i think more a police frog.

When under arms, the RAD had become weapons and equipment from the Wehrmacht. RAD men usually don´t wore a dress bayoent etc.

Hi HB,, I agree with Eric also on the stamping as it does look it was punched at a later date. The stamping is more notiecable on the left side of the letter "A" on RAD,,as you can see where the leather breaks between the "R" and the "A". ......A period stamping would not show this breakage as the leather would not be brittle during the period. I am not sure of the frog itself,, but the other members who commented would know better.
    Can someone find a comparison frog and post a photo of it? This would help greatly in answering some questions. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Can someone find a comparison frog and post a photo of it? This would help greatly in answering some questions. Regards Larry
    Here are some typical service bayonet frogs, with the Luftwaffe types ranging from a darker brown 1935 date with copper rivets/brass washers to some of the other brown variations that are seen from 1937 to 1939 at the right. The black 1940 dated variation, and to its right the blue Luftwaffe tropical frog. Likewise, the brown German Police frogs also have variations depending on who, and when the frog was manufactured. With the color usually not as dark, and with more of a yellow or reddish tint.

PS: I forgot to mention earlier that at some point in the bayonet's history it appears that somebody may have removed the grip plates, because the grip screws are installed backwards. Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 bayonet with special frog ?   K98 bayonet with special frog ?  

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast